3 year old hen is acting sickly. Help!

AChickenBoi

Songster
Oct 13, 2019
Rocky, my 3 year old blue rock hen, has shown very worrying signs recently. Her comb is floppy and pale on the edges, she is lethargic, her tail is down, and she is hiding. Before, I found her drinking mass amounts of water, looking very pale and ill. When I forced her to purge the contents of her crop, I found amongst tar black goop, grass, and pieces of bugs, was mostly just water.

When I emptied her crop and made her drink some fresh water, she seemed to perk up considerably. She was talking and everything. She was still lethargic and slow. She went behind a bush to hide, and I haven’t touched her since. Her poop is green, white, and runny, and my dad thinks that she just ate a bit of fertilizer that made her sick (which I expelled when I made her empty her crop). I can’t take her to the vet because it is way too costly for something we don’t know about.

What do I do from here? I plan to quarantine her away from the other hens in a pet carrier for the night so she doesn’t get picked on or gets anyone else sick. I’m very scared for my Rocky, and have never dealt with something like this before.

Update: Rocky seems to have made a full recovery extremely quickly. Not just was she walking and picking around not long after I purged her crop, but when I offered her some watered down pellets to see if she had an appetite, she gobbled that stuff up like it was the best thing she ever ate! Not only that, but she was back to her chatty self as I fed her, talking to me and everything! I initially thought I would have to quarantine her away from the others for the night, but then she bounced back like the badass she is! It amazes me how delicate but sturdy chickens really are, and while I’m not entirely sure what made her sick in the first place, I’ll be sure to be more vigilant of what my girls eat in the future!

Note: don’t try to purge your chicken’s crop without being completely sure it’s a life or death situation. Chickens could easily respirate as they are purging, and could drown in their own vomit. I was lucky, as not just is Rocky a calm and smart hen, but there were brief breathing breaks in between purges so she could catch her breath. This was the first time I had to purge my chicken’s crop, and not just was it very frightening and stressful, but I honestly didn’t know what to do other than act on my basic instinct. Please educate yourself as much as possible about chicken emergencies and remember to stay calm in these situations, as not all hens are as easygoing and stoic as Rocky is, and panicking in that situation could easily startle your sick/injured chicken more than they already are.

Back
Top Bottom