3 yr old Hen stumbling around

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Babe77, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Babe77

Babe77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Williamsburg, MI
    We have a 3 yr old B. Rock who started stumbling 3 days ago with the occasional falling over. We checked her over and can not see anything else wrong with her. She is in with 14 other chickens and no sign with the others. The weather here is mild in the 70 so I don't believe it is weather related. She is eating and drinking fine and when let out to free range she does so without any problems other than the stumbling. Any thoughts ??

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I'd look closely at her eyes to make sure it's not neurlogical, may be a head injury, if her eyes look okay them check her ears, an ear infection can cause off balance. other than that since she is eating and drinking I don't know. but this will bump you anyway and maybe someone else can offer some insite.

3. Babe77

Jun 11, 2009
    Williamsburg, MI
    Thank you... What would I be looking for in her eyes that would tell me it could be a head injury?

4. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Pupils would be abnormal or unequal.

5. Babe77

Jun 11, 2009
    Williamsburg, MI
    thank you

6. soule72

soule72 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2014
    My hen is doing the same thing. Stumping around like she's sick or injured but I don't see anything. Also won't let me get to her. She just runs off. Anyone have any ideas. Did your hen get better?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by