30 wk old pullets not laying

knc512

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 26, 2010
Sacramento, CA
I have an EE and a black australorp both of these birds are not laying they are about 30 weeks old, i have 2 leghorns that have been laying for about a month now, they are all around the same age. can chickens be sterile? Can anyone help with some knowledge.

thanks

Last edited:
Wow, Lazy butts!
hu.gif

Do they get a lot of treats? They may not be getting the correct protein amounts they need to lay. I would stop all scratch and fruit and fatty foods just feed layer and greens like grass. Nothing else until they start laying.

They are contained in a run? Not free-range...right? Just want to eliminate one possible reason. And they haven't been dropping a lot of feathers, which would indicate molting, right???

If both of these answers are "no" then I'd go with emys' suggestion (wait...yes to "contained in a run" no to the rest...lol)...get rid of any extras...only layer feed, oyster shell, and maybe a little BOSS or something high in protein (eggs are protein) until they lay for you. I've read of some EEs being late layers, but most BAs lay fairly early....

Last edited:
I am 100% sure they are not roosters, they are confined to a chicken run, and they are not molting as far as i know. I have been mixing some scratch with their food as well as oyster shell. so i wil cut the scratch out immediately.

thanks

PS
what is BOSS?

Back
Top Bottom