300 Pound Feeder

Chickens-246

Songster
12 Years
Mar 12, 2007
feed_hopper.jpg

The size was purely arbitrary, but it turns out to hold 300 pounds of feed. In the past I would buy 200 pounds and store in steel cans. A glance at the bottom, one can see if it needs a refill. As you can see, it's about time to fill it.

feed_hopper2.jpg

The little darlings figured out how to dig for the grain and spill the "good for them" feed out. So I put this cut-out in the trough, there is virtually zero waste.

I like it! Just what I want to build. I have a 5 gallon bucket feeder but I like the idea of being able to dump the entire bag all at once. How long does it last before you have to refill? How many birds? Hope you don't mind me stealing your design.
tongue.png

Steal the design? I posted this to inspire others.
smile.png

I have no idea on how long it will last, probably months.

Mold? I don't see how there would be a difference with feed either in a paper bag or in a wood hopper. My summers are dry, so it's not a concern to me.

I built one very similar. I love it. I've only put 200 lbs in mine at a time so far, I could probably squeeze another 50. It usually last 4 - 6 weeks before I have to refill it. I've never had any problem with mold, mice or anything. As far as I can see, you can't go wrong with one of these.

36856_feeder006.jpg

Cool. Between this feeder, the rain collection automatic waterers, and the automatic pop doors, I'll hardly have to lift a finger in my dream coop.

My coop is close to fully automated with the exception of egg collection and cleaning. I also have two CCTV cameras with night vision infrared, one on a turret, I can check the nests for eggs. Thermostat controlled water heater on the auto water, thermostat controlled swamp cooler, remote controlled emergency heating (for below zero temps), wireless temp gauge that records to my computer, auto lighting and auto door. The lighting and door automatically adjusts (no photocells) for dawn/dusk time changes and the light dims to warn the chickens the door is about to close. Just about everything can be controlled from my computer.

Back
Top Bottom