34 weeker Araucana hen not laying?

Do you not have a nesting box? She may not feel secure enough to lay, but hopefully she's just a late bloomer.
Blue eggs tend to fall prey to other chickens sometimes too.

Yeah I have a nesting box (we have the large Omlet Eglu) and our other chickens use it (we have an egg cam)

I have a rollaway nesting box as well but none of them use it at all.

Hmm so I was wrong - I was sure the younger araucana (26w) laid a brown egg… but she most definitely lays blue. 34-35 weeker araucana still not laying but she was singing an egg song today … maybe she’s getting there slowly. If not she’s our pet so it doesn’t really matter!

It could also be the blue eggs are getting picked up by ravens because I noticed some around- if she’s laying the out on the ground.

I recall reading that its possible a hen is infertile throughout her life. But I cant remember if the comb will get red and if they squat. But it wouldn’t surprise me if a non laying with a red comb and squatting is a possibility. Another possibility is that she will lay after her first moult. Nature provides all kind of variations.

Nice to hear she will have a good life no matter what. 💕

My husband asked me " Are some chickens just duds?" (meaning won't lay). I laughed, then realized I actaully don't know....
Are some chickens just (really cute) duds?

My husband asked me " Are some chickens just duds?" (meaning won't lay). I laughed, then realized I actaully don't know....
Are some chickens just (really cute) duds?
Yes. I have one. She's 3 years old and we possibly got 2 eggs total from her, but more likely it was another bird just laying paler than usual eggs.

Back
Top Bottom