34 weeker Araucana hen not laying?

Sarzetta

Songster
Mar 30, 2023
Australia
I have a 34 week old hen (Australian Araucana) and she hasn’t seemed to lay any eggs yet. She has a very red comb, has been squatting for weeks as well. She’s a happy sweet chicken (not
Crowing).

It’s sunny and warm where I am and the daylight hours are increasing as we head to summer.

I’ve checked her vent as best I can and it seems the same as my layers … I just can’t tell.

I have a 26 weeker araucana that just laid her first egg this week (she’s a mix and it wasn’t blue but I’m glad she wasn’t a rooster at least).

I’ve tried to keep an eye on her and she’s not going to the nesting box. She’s in a very large pen which I put mulch into regularly - I’ve seen no eggs. I’ve kept a close on on her since Friday due to life circumstances I have some time, and I don’t see any egg on her face (feathers get wet from drinking but not sticky). I’ve got a few cameras and I can’t see perfectly but doesn’t appear to be laying and eating her eggs.

I had a few hens eating their eggs but none of them are now as I’ve used golf balls and the eggs that are laid are remaining in the nesting box.

Any thoughts? Do sometimes hens just not lay? It doesn’t really matter as we have plenty of eggs and she is my autistic child’s absolute favourite hen but I cannot help wondering!

Last edited:
DDFDBEE7-E1E9-4E97-8447-A66670142140.jpeg

She is very red. Have you checked for hidden nests?

I don't think she's a none layer. I have a 100% not fertile chicken, that's a year old never squatted, or submitted to any roosters. Not a single egg from her.

unless she’s laying and eating them I don’t think so but I have kept a close eye on her the last 3 days and nothing

Now crowing? Or you mean not crowing. From experience I have had one Araucana lay at 38 weeks and also had a cockerel that could be mistaken for a pullet until over a year. Yours sure looks like a pullet though hopefully lays eggs for you soon

I put all the fake eggs together and searched and found no random eggs. Note the fake eggs are really mostly golf balls. I just topped up their shell grit. It’s a mystery to me!

F44350EE-8416-4858-B1E6-45CE80CF1DC4.jpeg

Now crowing? Or you mean not crowing. From experience I have had one Araucana lay at 38 weeks and also had a cockerel that could be mistaken for a pullet until over a year. Yours sure looks like a pullet though hopefully lays eggs for you soon
No crowing yet nope! She was a sexed chick so high chance she is a female. You never know though.

Back
Top Bottom