Not laying…. 34 weeks

I have started to mix my own chicken feed. I checked out on youtube and got some ideas on what to put in my mix. Are there any ingredients I can purchase in the supermarket that you think is essential for good balance in food? Oatmeal, nutritional yeast, green split peas, sunflower seeds, safflower seeds, etc. It seems to be cheaper to mix my own.
I don’t know the answer to that. I’ve always purchased feed from the feed store. I might start looking into making my own as well 🙂

I have started to mix my own chicken feed. I checked out on youtube and got some ideas on what to put in my mix. Are there any ingredients I can purchase in the supermarket that you think is essential for good balance in food? Oatmeal, nutritional yeast, green split peas, sunflower seeds, safflower seeds, etc. It seems to be cheaper to mix my own.
No, not likely.....if you really understood chicken nutrition you wouldn't even try.

I don’t know the answer to that. I’ve always purchased feed from the feed store. I might start looking into making my own as well 🙂
I have talked to several store operators where I buy feed, they all seem to be OK with it and they know other chicken owners who are doing the same. After all, we feel our birds food scraps and some birds feed entirely of table scraps. It's hard to find barley, or wheat, oats, etc. That is my challenge.

No, not likely.....if you really understood chicken nutrition you wouldn't even try.
Aart: you are right: I don't really understand chicken nutrition. What I know is that so many people feel their birds entirely table food scraps and other food compost ... You know a lot more than I, that is clear. For me, chickens are a hobby, like cats and dogs to others. So I am going to continue to experiment. Thanks for your feedback.

Back
Top Bottom