Not laying…. 34 weeks

Jld13

Songster
Apr 12, 2021
My Dorothy is a 34 week old black Copper maran. She’s never laid. I have a total of 9 chickens, 4 of which are also 34 weeks and they’re all laying. Every chicken is a different breed. No roosters. They’re in a very large chicken pen, there’s not a secret egg stash, there’s plenty of nesting boxes, and knock on wood no egg eaters. What’s everyone’s thoughts?
Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_6783.png
    IMG_6783.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6782.jpeg
    IMG_6782.jpeg
    774.5 KB · Views: 11
Some just mature slower than others. If not laying already, she will most likely do so shortly. Have you checked the spacing between her pelvic bones?
No I haven’t. She’s the most skittish one out of the group…. But let’s my husband pick her up. 🙄. How does one check the spacing??

I hear your frustration. I have 18 chickens and they have not laid since the summer. They are moulting, but I feed them, they graze, I look for a hideaway place where they might lay their eggs, they have fresh water, some days they don't get out of the run, still no eggs. I don't know what is going on! I realize they are not egg machines but I need to eat some eggs. Thanksgiving is coming!

I hear your frustration. I have 18 chickens and they have not laid since the summer. They are moulting, but I feed them, they graze, I look for a hideaway place where they might lay their eggs, they have fresh water, some days they don't get out of the run, still no eggs. I don't know what is going on! I realize they are not egg machines but I need to eat some eggs. Thanksgiving is coming!
Yes!! I have 9 and get about 3 a day. Several of mine are molting too. And a few others I think have retired on me and they’re only 2&3 years old. 🙄🙄 I love them like crazy but want my eggs haha. I get your frustration!!

I have started to mix my own chicken feed. I checked out on youtube and got some ideas on what to put in my mix. Are there any ingredients I can purchase in the supermarket that you think is essential for good balance in food? Oatmeal, nutritional yeast, green split peas, sunflower seeds, safflower seeds, etc. It seems to be cheaper to mix my own.

Back
Top Bottom