36 hour old chick can't walk.

Georgetownchick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 29, 2012
I have a baby that hatched late Saturday night. It can't walk. I have it separated from the others because it was getting stepped on and pecked. It seems very healthy otherwise. It is eating and I have been giving it water with a dropper. I chirp at it and it will chirp back. It drags itself around by flapping its wings. I don't know if it has the spraddle leg thing or not. It is very furry so it is hard to tell. I have looked it over and it does not seem to be injured and its legs are not broken. I have seen where you can splint the legs to try and help it stand up. Should I try this or just leave it be for now? Also how often should I give it water and how many drops at a time. I gave it water this morning while holding it and it opened its beak and seemed to really like it. Thanks!

Is it sitting back on its hock OR are the legs spread to the side??? Can you take a picture?
IF you can be with the fuzzy all day I would guess water every hour and food as well. Maybe its just tired from hatching or ??????
You can get TONS of info on BYC about fixing sprattle legs...hope this helps..

No, it is not sitting back on its hock. The legs seem to go out to the side but not all the way like in some chickens I have seen. I put food in front of it and it pecks at it. I have attached a picture. Its feet stick out on the side of the chicken.

brace it's legs asap! the sooner you start the better.... those legs are way to far apart!... a bandaid is quick and easy provided the legs aren't feathered...OH NO! I had a hen do this and I waited to long to brace her legs... there's also a vitamin defficiency that could cause this... trying to remember if it's magnesium or something... there's something you can supplement to help harden the bones and strengthen the tendons... Good LUCK!!
No, it is not sitting back on its hock. The legs seem to go out to the side but not all the way like in some chickens I have seen. I put food in front of it and it pecks at it. I have attached a picture. Its feet stick out on the side of the chicken.

brace it's legs asap! the sooner you start the better.... those legs are way to far apart!... a bandaid is quick and easy provided the legs aren't feathered...OH NO! I had a hen do this and I waited to long to brace her legs... there's also a vitamin defficiency that could cause this... trying to remember if it's magnesium or something... there's something you can supplement to help harden the bones and strengthen the tendons... Good LUCK!!

X's 2 That is spraddle leg.....

Back
Top Bottom