3mo BR Chick ate string from feed bag

Apr 29, 2020
Two days ago I found a 3mo chick sitting still, with her tongue pulled out slightly and a string from her beak to the ground (3 feet). She was alive, but her eyes were closing and she was not well. I cut the string as closely as I could to her beak and removed her to a small crate with food and water so the girls wouldn't attack her.

Yesterday she was still not very active and would not leave the crate. She has clear liquid coming out of her beak that she keeps wiping off, but it is getting on her chest and has an odor. By nighttime, she had her energy back and she hopped out of the crate when I opened the door and jumped up on my shoulder - as was her custom. (She does not have a roost in the crate she is currently in.) While on my shoulder she did lots of talking and seemed happy to get out and move about. Still with the clear liquid and the wiping of the beak - she also pooped quite a bit - brown and white.

I do not know how much string she ingested, only that I did not pull to strongly as I did not want to further damage her internally.

This morning, 2 days since the accident, she has more energy back and chirping quite a bit. She jumped on my shoulder and pooped great deep-grass green poops that made quite an exit sound-wise. I do not know how much food she is taking in, but I have tried to hand-feed her with little success.

I am hopeful with her energy return, but concerned with the green chunky poop, as well as the possible exit of the string. Does anyone have any insight on what I might expect with her overall well-being and chances for making it out of this incident alive?

Thank you.

Sorry about your chick. This is a very common danger to chickens. Make sure that the string did not get wrapped around the tongue by looking into the beak and making sure that the tongue is seen, and not swollen. If you do not have granite poultry grit available for your chickens to take as needed, get some at your feed store, or look for some small grit in the dirt. Make sure that the chicken is drinking plenty of fluid, and eating. Try mixing some feed with water to make a mash for her. Let us know what happens, and good luck.

Back
Top Bottom