3rd Annual New Year's Day Hatch!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LarryPQ, Oct 27, 2011.

1. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Well my showgirl eggs spent 24+ hours in Scarborough (southern Maine). Tracking was updated this morning and MY EGGS DROVE RIGHT PAST MY HOUSE and are now an hour north of me, in Bangor.

Sigh.

[​IMG]

Hot2Pots egg shipping number says they'll be delivered today, too. They're probably in New Brunswick by now.

2. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Once when my husband was still alive I argued all day about picking up eggs at the PO. They kept telling me that I'd have to go get them in Lincoln CA. I have no idea how far that is, but it was the first time I had ever heard of it. Someone said it's like 100 miles from me. Yeah I'll run right over.

I hope you get your eggs and they all hatch out for you.

3. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I hope so too. I'm going to try and call at work today around 10. Boyfriend doesn't go in until 3 so maybe he can pick up my eggs for me if they are anywhere reasonably close (Bangor is not).

And for all the things I've read that say chickens see poorly in the dark... just went out to let them out and do their breakfast before I head off to work. It's before 6 AM it's pitch dark and I require a flashlight to get out there. I open up the coop and a RSL is walking around, already laid her egg in the nesting box. An olive egger turken is coming out of the same nesting box, laid her egg too. And in the nesting box next to it are two black chickens no idea what they are... black sex links, jersey giants or EE crosses, maybe, I didn't get too close a look.

Early AM (see also: pitch dark) eggs aren't abnormal around here, but it's usually the leghorns and the RSL and not FOUR!

Too bad I don't want to hatch any of them, that would have been perfect.

4. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    Quote:Linda this makes me just want to cry! I feel so bad that you get this great new place and this is how the Welcoming Commitee treats you. It's just so unfair and my heart breaks for you and your birds.

x2

Hi Linda, newbie here. I'm reading tidbits of posts to my DH, he spends a lot of time in court ands wants me to tell you that an Appeal will buy you time. If the decision is not in your favor, file an Appeal and this will override the first court and buy you time. Not sure if this is helpful, I did tell DH that you are in CA (we are in PA), he said it shouldn't make a difference. My heart goes out to you. -Martha

5. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    How bout a Most of one breed hatched contest? Who ever hatches the most of one breed

6. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    How about a contest on the best newborn stink eye pic [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Here are a couple of pics from Hot2Pots polish chicks that are due to hatch today but these little early birds came out yesterday evening [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Melissa Rose

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Quote:What kind are you getting from Deb? I have a lovely assortment from her hatching now [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] polish, ees, lav orp, dark brahmas, slws [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Melissa Rose

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Hi Jim your beautiful Iowa Blues are in San Antonio and I should be able to pick them up today [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. mrheinz77

mrheinz77 New Beginnings Poultry

May 22, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. LeasureChix

LeasureChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Medford OR
    I got a call at 9 pm last night, my eggs finally arrived in Medford on an extra truck from Portland. I asked them to hold the eggs instead of sending them out to our post office. The box looks like it was just packed! I'm sure it helps that they only had to travel from So WA to So OR. Truck travel only, no plane ride. Now I have 2 dozen Catdance (Kelar) silkie eggs for the NYD hatch.

After pulling some duds from my incubator, I have 10 splash marans and 8 silkie eggs developing well. They are from my birds and due to hatch next Saturday. My first time hatching eggs from my own chickens.

It was 21 degrees when I drove into Medford this morning. Brrrrrrr

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by