3rd day to soon to candle?

Right now our family needs some hope and life, we just had to put our 5yr old kitty down this morning due to liver disease. So I'm hoping that we have duckling(s) so my son can name a duckling after his kitty. Also, I am attempting the smaller egg, it's not terribly small but slightly. And if that one hatches successfully without and deformities, I am calling that one "Pee-wee". What stinks is if they are hatching on the weekend of October 9th, I will be gone over night on the 9th, but I know I have 24-48hrs before a full hatch when pipping begins. Gosh, these ducklings will have unique markings. What is your guess, do you think I have some viable fertile ones?? And what are my chances of see a successful hatching? I know not all will survive. Right now as I've stated before, we are incubating 10, momma has yet to sit on currently 5, probably 6 tomorrow.

So my temperature is good then 99-99.5 it's right at that mark, it hasn't hit 100, but it hasn't gone below 99. Should I raise it to 1/2 - 1 degree or am I pretty much set? The thermometer that came with the Genesis always stayed at 100, so I'm assuming I'm safe. I have the thermometer/hydrometer in the back of the incubator so the racks don't hit it, there is no where else to place it. Anyways here is my set up and my temp/hydrometer, wrote myself personal reminders on sticky notes on the incubator so I don't forget all the advice on what to do and when.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/66568_img00422-20100914-1857.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/66568_img00420-20100914-1855.jpg

Quote:
Do not adjust the machine at all. Just putting the thermometer at different spots in the machine will give you different readings. Read the little label on top of the machine! Also the thermometer may not be calibrated which means it can be just so slightly off. The machine may be spot on, just your measuring may not be. The Genesis is a very good machine and should not need any adjustment.

Last edited:
Quote:
Do not add more eggs that do not have the same incubation time. A staggered hatch is not too good at all. If you add eggs now they will go into lock down 3 days too early and the eggs will will not be turned. Remember you cannot open the incubator once in lock down. Very bad idea. Also small eggs don't mean small bird, they usually mean birds with deformed legs at hatching time. Very cruel some for the little baby. Its never an good idea to incubate small or super large double yolker duck eggs. The double yolkers have one embryo inside die and the other ones follows within hours making the egg explode later. Yuck. You will know how many eggs are good when you hit day 10.

BTW just to clarify I never washed the eggs so that is why I'm keeping the humidity at 55%. I'm 1/2 tempted to pull the other eggs from the igloo if momma doesn't sit by end of the weekend. By then she should/would have laid 20-21 eggs all together. I know, let nature take it's course I have enough to hatch if any are viable. LOL, us newbies got to be so irritating to all you experts.

Back
Top Bottom