3yr BCM Roo Slumped Over

Jethro_Farms

In the Brooder
May 23, 2019
Northern Virginia
We thought our beloved sweet sweet roo was getting adorably sleepier over the last year (you know, the good ole' sleeping on the ground then AHHH and startling back to life), but now he seems permanently exhausted. He hasn't crowed in the the last two weeks, but he still eats and drinks, but it's definitely limited because he keeps giving the feed and treats to the other hens 😭 He's still eating and drinking AND he's still the alpha male (what a G).. but look at this slump in the photo from today 😪

I left 3.5 DAYS ago to visit family (safely) and now our sweet boy looks like he has frost bite on his comb?! What breaks my heart is that my partner refuses to take him to our vet (money isn't a problem, agh) because he's a chicken* (*his/our favorite chicken.. agh!!!). Anytime I've ever 100% looked after our flock his comb has been perfectly healthy so something is clearly wrong, but I can't find anything to help online.
Any suggestions???

20201230_150038.jpg

I'm so sorry he is unwell. What are you feeding them (snacks included)? Is his crop emptying by morning? How do his poops look? Please post pictures of his poop. He is the only one acting unwell? Are you able to have a vet do a fecal float to check for parasites?

Last edited:
Also, is that rust in their drinker? I'm not 100% sure, but that may need to be replaced asap. Let me ask the folks that know their stuff
@azygous @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @aart

Please overlook me if this is not important. It's very possible that I'm wrong, so I'm just hoping to gather more information for the experts that will be along soon. There are some amazing folks here.
I wish you the best with your handsome guy <3

We thought our beloved sweet sweet roo was getting adorably sleepier over the last year (you know, the good ole' sleeping on the ground then AHHH and startling back to life), but now he seems permanently exhausted. He hasn't crowed in the the last two weeks, but he still eats and drinks, but it's definitely limited because he keeps giving the feed and treats to the other hens 😭 He's still eating and drinking AND he's still the alpha male (what a G).. but look at this slump in the photo from today 😪

I left 3.5 DAYS ago to visit family (safely) and now our sweet boy looks like he has frost bite on his comb?! What breaks my heart is that my partner refuses to take him to our vet (money isn't a problem, agh) because he's a chicken* (*his/our favorite chicken.. agh!!!). Anytime I've ever 100% looked after our flock his comb has been perfectly healthy so something is clearly wrong, but I can't find anything to help online.
Any suggestions???

View attachment 2469046
I recommend using hard plastic water feeders all the time add 2Tbl of 100% raw Apple Cider Vinegar to 1 gallon of water. Don't put Apple Cider Vinegar in the metal water feeder it will rust it and the rust flakes will cause internal damage. Good luck

Any suggestions???

View attachment 2469046
Try adding some Vaseline to his comb it looks black

Do an on site search on favus. He has slight frost bite, but the 'white' may be the beginning of favus. There are threads on treatment.

He does have some frostbite on his tips of the comb. Vetericyn or a similar hydrogel wound spray from your feed store can be sprayed on his comb, but I usually don’t treat it when it is ‘t too serious. He looks a little puny in the face, possibly around the eye where it might be a little swollen. Do you see any bubbles in his eye? Has he had any crackles or gurgles noticeable when he breathes? Those can all be signs of a respiratory disease.

I would get rid of the rusty waterer. Vinegar can damage metal waterers that way. I don’t use ACV in my waterers anymore, but just fresh clean water daily. In winter, I use either electric dog bowls or black rubber bowls for water. The rubber bowls can be dumped in the evening and refilled each morning with fresh water to prevent frozen water.

Back
Top Bottom