3yr BCM Roo Slumped Over

This rooster sure looks unwell. When did you last deworm him?

When going through a hard moult, worms can take a toll on a rooster that instead of eating himself feeds the hens with whatever food is available.

Best to separate him every other evening and have him feast on a nice dish of protein rich food like scrambled eggs with some oatmeal and brewers yeast.

Has his crop been checked? Check in the morning to be sure it's empty. If not, a crop disorder may be responsible for part of his funk.

Rust is a problem. Rust binds with bacteria, attracts it like a magnet and grows it. You do not want rust anywhere near chicken food and water.

He has eyes that say, "I feel like chicken poop. I'd give anything to feel like the Cock of the Walk again."

Also, is that rust in their drinker? I'm not 100% sure, but that may need to be replaced asap. Let me ask the folks that know their stuff
@azygous @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @aart

Please overlook me if this is not important. It's very possible that I'm wrong, so I'm just hoping to gather more information for the experts that will be along soon. There are some amazing folks here.
I wish you the best with your handsome guy <3

Thank you so much for your replies! I'm definitely taking the metal waterer out asap. When I looked him over yesterday I didn't see any lice or mites on him or any of our girls. My partner took him out this morning so I missed getting his morning poop, but he says it looks normal. I'll definitely try to get a sample today and see if our vet will test it.

Thank you again!

Has his crop been checked? Check in the morning to be sure it's empty. If not, a crop disorder may be responsible for part of his funk.

Rust is a problem. Rust binds with bacteria, attracts it like a magnet and grows it. You do not want rust anywhere near chicken food and water.

He has eyes that say, "I feel like chicken poop. I'd give anything to feel like the Cock of the Walk again."
Thank you so much for your reply! Definitely getting rid of the metal waterer asap.
He does empty his crop, but I'm hoping to get a sample today for our vet to test it.
I agree, the look in his eye is just heartbreaking 😔

This rooster sure looks unwell. When did you last deworm him?

When going through a hard moult, worms can take a toll on a rooster that instead of eating himself feeds the hens with whatever food is available.

Best to separate him every other evening and have him feast on a nice dish of protein rich food like scrambled eggs with some oatmeal and brewers yeast.
Thank you so much for your reply!
Excellent suggestion to separate him for a feast, he gives so much to our girls. He did go through a hard moult earlier this year so I'll see if I can get him to our vet to check.

He does have some frostbite on his tips of the comb. Vetericyn or a similar hydrogel wound spray from your feed store can be sprayed on his comb, but I usually don’t treat it when it is ‘t too serious. He looks a little puny in the face, possibly around the eye where it might be a little swollen. Do you see any bubbles in his eye? Has he had any crackles or gurgles noticeable when he breathes? Those can all be signs of a respiratory disease.

I would get rid of the rusty waterer. Vinegar can damage metal waterers that way. I don’t use ACV in my waterers anymore, but just fresh clean water daily. In winter, I use either electric dog bowls or black rubber bowls for water. The rubber bowls can be dumped in the evening and refilled each morning with fresh water to prevent frozen water.
Thank you so much for your reply!
We have what we call the 'blue goo' from our feed store that we've used in the past on the flock and it's worked quicker than vaseline, but I'll definitely start treatments asap. He doesn't seem to have troubles breathing, but he also hasn't crowed in the last two weeks so you could be on to something. I'll definitely take another look at his face and check for swelling. I'm definitely getting rid of the metal waterer asap. I clean it regularly, but I think you're right about the vinegar. Great suggestion for the electric dog bowl, looking into one right now.

Back
Top Bottom