4/17/12 Hatch buddy anyone?

Well, I managed to make it 4 days before candling.....and all 3 look good! Lots of veining and each one has a little dark spot. The new incubator seems to be working well, which is a good thing, since I have a bunch of Guinea eggs coming!

Also, my little Silkie, Apple, hatched her first chick today! Such a cutie pie!!

Just found this thread. Mind if I join?

I'm a first time incubator. 7 Cream Legbar eggs went in on the morning of the 17th. Not expecting too much because its all new to me but I have everything crossed that it won't be a complete failure!

Good! More hatching buddies!! Good luck to everyone else who just joined this thread.

So I couldn't wait til Tuesday...I'm soooo bad. But, in my defense, my daughter had a friend over and they were begging me...definitely didn't help. I think this will be the last time I buy shipped eggs. Some of the displaced air cells are developing, but none of the ruptured air cells were...it ended up being 12 I threw out. So out of all 35, just 23 remain.

wee.gif
Ooooo Ooooo Ooooo, Me too, me too! I set 30 eggs in my incubator on 4/17. They are all mixed breed lil mutts, I can't wait to see what they will look like. I have a Black Cochin mix of some sort ( I assume cause he has a beard and muffs) as my rooster, named Jax. He really seems to get the "JOB" done with his girls. I have about 30 hens with this one roo and well he gets around well!
I did candle already today
hide.gif
but only the 5 white eggs that I could reach without opening the incubator to far. So far out of those 5 only one did not have little veins yet.

Hey quick question though..... I set my eggs at 10:30 am, so was that the start of my first day? Or is the next day our first day? I just wanna make sure so I lock down on the right day.
Any one elts already impatient?

Hi there!! Congrats on your 4 veiny eggs! Good luck on the rest of your little surprises! Exciting! To answer your question, I count the next day as day 1....and yes, I am sooooo impatient. It's amazing that an entire chick develops in only 21 days, but at the same time it's such a long time to wait. It reminds me of pregnancy. I don't know how I waited 9 whole months!!! Those u/s are like our candling!!!!

Oooh, ooh, I'm 2 days late, but can I join y'all? Hubby just finished building me an incubator, and I want to do a trial run. I stuck 3 little eggs in there on the 19th. 2 Silkies and an egg from my Bearded Belgian d'Uccle, The dad may be a d'Uccle or a Silkie, I have a couple dozen Guinea eggs coming, and wanted to make sure the new incubator is gonna work!

Meanwhile, I have a broody Silkie sitting on eggs due tomorrow, and another with eggs due Wednesday. I have chick fever! :)

and yes, Farmin Momma, I'm impatient too! You think 3 days is too early to candle?? lol

I have a broody silkie sitting on eggs too...5 mille fleur & blue banty cochin...these I bought locally. Probably a better chance of these hatching. The ones in my bator are shipped.

Well, I managed to make it 4 days before candling.....and all 3 look good! Lots of veining and each one has a little dark spot. The new incubator seems to be working well, which is a good thing, since I have a bunch of Guinea eggs coming!

Also, my little Silkie, Apple, hatched her first chick today! Such a cutie pie!!

Awe! So cute. Congrats. Was she setting on others too or just this one? Glad to hear the homemade bator is working well. Good idea with the trial run!

Just found this thread. Mind if I join?

I'm a first time incubator. 7 Cream Legbar eggs went in on the morning of the 17th. Not expecting too much because its all new to me but I have everything crossed that it won't be a complete failure!

Hi! Good luck with your first hatch! I'm sure they'll do fine. Besides, you've got beginner's luck on your side!!!

Last edited:
Aww what a cute chick! I have 4 eggs under my hen outside due wensday or thursday too! double hatch along :)
So i candled 4 of my 11 eggs last night and saw veins and beating in each of them! yay this is my first time as well and hoping for some of that beginnersluck im hearing about :)

Aww what a cute chick! I have 4 eggs under my hen outside due wensday or thursday too! double hatch along :)
So i candled 4 of my 11 eggs last night and saw veins and beating in each of them! yay this is my first time as well and hoping for some of that beginnersluck im hearing about :)

Awesome!!! I love when they start bobbin' around in there. The whole thing is just amazing to me and always will be!

Well, I set my eggs on the 19th, not exactly the 17th, but mind if I join?
Super excited for my 8 little silkie eggs...
Just candled them and there are veins!
Personally, I find nothing more exciting than candling eggs (Besides the hatch, of course)
big_smile.png

The more the merrier!! Can't wait to see all the pics!!

Yes, I agree. I love candling too. It's so funny that something's living in there, and you have no idea til you shine a light up to it!

Good luck to you and your little silkies!!!

Awesome!!! I love when they start bobbin' around in there. The whole thing is just amazing to me and always will be!

Yeah its sooo cool to see! Well I candled all 11 tonight and 9 of 11 had beating/movement. And the other 2 I'm gonna give another day, but think they are tossers.. And blue eggs are hard to see into I'm finding out lol...

I was going to candle mine tomorrow but now I have to be out of town all day on business so I sneaked a peek at one today.

Just the most perfect little swimmer. This is my first ever candling and I can't quite believe how excited it made me to see the little guy in there.

I might just have to have a look at the others!!
wee.gif

I really don't know how people can wait so long to candle, I just can't seem to stop myself! lol It's just so interesting and exciting to watch the development! I am on cloud 9 here this week, because both of my broody Silkies hatched out their chicks this week. They are so cute, and so fun to watch with momma! But I can't wait for my bator chicks to hatch, so I can play with them without getting my hand pecked off! haha

Apple only hatched one of her 3 eggs:

And Cottonball hatched out 3 of her 4:

love.gif

Back
Top Bottom