4.5 week old Barred Rock... Roo or Pullet?

PDDSinger

Hatching
7 Years
May 24, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
This is an almost 5 week old Barred Rock. I am concerned "She" is a "He". She has started getting her wattle sooner than the other chicks and has a more pronounced comb. HOWEVER, her coloring suggests she is a pullet. Anyone have a more educated idea as to whether this is a Roo or Pullet? Any help wold be appreciated. Thanks!

_MG_7803.jpg
Here is my boy @ 5 weeks - note how much bigger his comb is than yours - and how much lighter in colouring he is.
_MG_8039.jpg
My girls - dark like yours. One has quite the colour on the comb. I think yours is a girl. Where did you get her from?

This is an almost 5 week old Barred Rock. I am concerned "She" is a "He". She has started getting her wattle sooner than the other chicks and has a more pronounced comb. HOWEVER, her coloring suggests she is a pullet. Anyone have a more educated idea as to whether this is a Roo or Pullet? Any help wold be appreciated. Thanks!
I really, really hope that s/he is a pullet! This looks exactly like our Pheazy who is six weeks old, and I don't think Pheazy's comb is quite as pronounced. But we have been so on-edge about it because we are really attached to her/him lol.

I really, really hope that s/he is a pullet! This looks exactly like our Pheazy who is six weeks old, and I don't think Pheazy's comb is quite as pronounced. But we have been so on-edge about it because we are really attached to her/him lol.
At six weeks - if the comb is less pronounced than this one - definite pullet!
_MG_8539.jpg
Look at what one week will do in comb development - this guy is 6.5 weeks old here.
_MG_7803.jpg
Again @ 5.5 weeks
_MG_7187.jpg
4.5 weeks

At six weeks - if the comb is less pronounced than this one - definite pullet!
_MG_8539.jpg

Look at what one week will do in comb development - this guy is 6.5 weeks old here.
_MG_7803.jpg

Again @ 5.5 weeks
_MG_7187.jpg

4.5 weeks
Ok, this just made my day!! Thanks.
bow.gif

Thank you all for your knowledgeable opinions! Since we live in Phoenix, I was hoping "She" was going to stay a "She"! To answer the question "where did you get her from", she is a replacement , purchased from a local feed store, Western Ranchmen, for a chick we lost to a scorpion. Thanks again for all the help!

Although it seems the final decision has been made, I'll vote girl too. My girls started getting slightly more pronounced combs (more than what they had before, like they hit a little growth spurt) about this age and it had me concerned but they are now 7 weeks old and are very obviously Hens. So I, too, believe you have an adorable little girl there.

I love the Barred Rocks, so far they are my favorite :)

Back
Top Bottom