4.5 week old Blue Laced Wyandotte sex?

IMG_6567.JPG
IMG_6572.JPG
I'd say roo because I have blrw the same age as yours and they have pink combs.

Hi all! I wanted to post some new pictures of Tookie at 5.5 weeks old and say that there's not doubt in my mind that she is a he.
20170711_082314-1.jpg
20170711_082634-1.jpg

He has significant waddles... Much more than my 2 month old hens. I'm also pretty sure he made a little crowing noise. He also started doing something weird today when I went to pick him up for picture time. I usually put my hand down in front of my chicks and then scoop them up under their chest to pick them up. Today he stomped on the ground when I put my hand down in front of him, and then again when he was standing on my hands. So funny looking and incredibly cute!
20170711_082913.jpg
20170711_082731-1.jpg

Right now the decision is to keep him for as long as possible. My husband refuses to give him up and reminded me that even though our neighborhood is very much suburban, it's still is considered rural (At least that's what the post office says)... So we're going to give it a try with Tookie and hope he's a good roo to our hens. As of now, he is the sweetest chicken I have. He still likes to sleep on my lap and he has mellowed with the other pullets since we moved them all out to the run.. Just an all around good little boy so far. We'll see how it all turns out.

Thanks again for all of your help! You all were so encouraging and fun to hear from. Thank you.

He is such a sweet looking boy. I'd give it a try too. Roosters add so much character to a flock and I think they are integral and important to the girls, as well. I think they are happier with a boy around. Will you keep us posted with his maturing. Your photos are beautiful.

I have a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte Hen. They are so beautiful.

Will you keep us posted with his maturing.

That's my plan! He should be an amazing looking rooster! Although I may have to start a new thread.

I am so envious of your blrw hen! I'm definitely going to try again to get one next spring. Who knows, maybe in a couple years we could even end up hatching some blrw of our own.

IMG_0045.JPG
Do keep trying. Okay here... I just found a photo of her on my phone... She came from a breeder who gave a friend and I some nice eggs from her 'barnyard' stock for a classroom hatch. The lady does a beautiful job with her birds (fair winners and such) She's amazing. And the more discerning visitor whether they know chickens or not always picks her out.

I will let you know she is 3 years old and laid steadily for me this spring. There is some longevity in laying for Wyandottes in my humble experience with them. They are a little bit territorial (kritzy on the roost), but I like them.

Hi all! I wanted to post some new pictures of Tookie at 5.5 weeks old and say that there's not doubt in my mind that she is a he.
View attachment 1072307 View attachment 1072309
He has significant waddles... Much more than my 2 month old hens. I'm also pretty sure he made a little crowing noise. He also started doing something weird today when I went to pick him up for picture time. I usually put my hand down in front of my chicks and then scoop them up under their chest to pick them up. Today he stomped on the ground when I put my hand down in front of him, and then again when he was standing on my hands. So funny looking and incredibly cute!
View attachment 1072311 View attachment 1072312
Right now the decision is to keep him for as long as possible. My husband refuses to give him up and reminded me that even though our neighborhood is very much suburban, it's still is considered rural (At least that's what the post office says)... So we're going to give it a try with Tookie and hope he's a good roo to our hens. As of now, he is the sweetest chicken I have. He still likes to sleep on my lap and he has mellowed with the other pullets since we moved them all out to the run.. Just an all around good little boy so far. We'll see how it all turns out.

Thanks again for all of your help! You all were so encouraging and fun to hear from. Thank you.
Definitely a boy. Very cute!

Back
Top Bottom