4.5 week old Blue Laced Wyandotte sex?

I am so envious of your blrw hen! I'm definitely going to try again to get one next spring. Who knows, maybe in a couple years we could even end up hatching some blrw of our own.

Did you get yours from a local breeder or an online hachery? I just LOVE blrw, and plan on getting a few next spring hopefully

I got him from a local hatchery. I since realized that the chicks were actually sold straight run. The store had stuck their cages over on the pullet side of the chick room so I didn't realize that they were not sexed. I also got a Welsummer from the same cage and thank goodnes she is a pullet. I learned a valuable lesson in all this.. Slow my crazy chicken lady self down and read the signs. The BLRW are a limited quantity chicken that they only carry for a short while so i was pretty lucky that i happened to walk into the hatchery when they had them.

I got him from a local hatchery. I since realized that the chicks were actually sold straight run. The store had stuck their cages over on the pullet side of the chick room so I didn't realize that they were not sexed. I also got a Welsummer from the same cage and thank goodnes she is a pullet. I learned a valuable lesson in all this.. Slow my crazy chicken lady self down and read the signs. The BLRW are a limited quantity chicken that they only carry for a short while so i was pretty lucky that i happened to walk into the hatchery when they had them.

I thought I would post an update about my boy. He's nearly 7 months old now and just the most awesome little guy ever! He's very good at protecting the girls from everything. Hawks... Cats... A strong breeze :) He's not people agressive at all, but I did end up handling him a lot, so maybe that helped.
Here's a pic from today. He's gathering the girls into their safe spot. What's the threat you ask? Gently falling snow. Yeah... It's dangerous stuff Tookie. Hope you can save them.
20171223_113301-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom