4 Chicks 2 Chickens-Help with Introductions

ChxLadyMary

Chirping
Apr 21, 2020
Hello! We have 2 full grown hens and 4 chicks who are now 5 days old. How early should we bring them out just to start seeing the adults even for 5-10 minutes? Also, any other introduction tips? We want to start introducing them as soon as possible.

Depending on your set up, you can try integrating early if you set up for it. My chicks are raised in the run so the adults see them as soon as they arrive, and my goal is to have them fully moved into the coop at around 4 weeks old.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/
Mine are raised in a brooder and have not seen the adults at all yet. They are only 6 days old so I was thinking I would have to wait at least another week to start taking them outside for a few minutes at a time.

Mine are raised in a brooder and have not seen the adults at all yet. They are only 6 days old so I was thinking I would have to wait at least another week to start taking them outside for a few minutes at a time.
You can still integrate on the early side even if you start them off indoors (which many people do for at least the first week). It may mean they move in with adults at 5 or 6 weeks instead, but that's still pretty early all things considered.

The key points are to let the adults and chicks see each other for at least a week or more before attempting to let them make contact, so they acclimate to each other's presence, and to have some hiding places/chick-only space so once the chicks are out, they have ways of taking shelter if needed.

Back
Top Bottom