4 Day Old Chick Just Lays Down

Teenybeeny

Chirping
Mar 26, 2020
Westminster, MD
My Coop
My Coop
I’ve read many threads regarding sick chicks, but just wondering if there’s anything else I can do.

I have a 4 day old French Black Copper Maran that I got from my local supply store. Right off the bat it was very docile and loved to be held. When I put it in the brooder, it ran around with the other chicks no problem. On Day 2, noticed it just standing in one spot and not eating or drinking. So, I took it out of the brooder and held it for about an hour. It finally started eating and drinking. So, I put it back in the brooder with the other chicks and it was eating and drinking with the rest of them. Come this morning, it’s back to just laying there. Won’t eat, drink, or move really. So, took it out of the brooder again and tried giving it food, water, egg yolk, sugar water, water with electrolytes, and basically everything that was suggested in the threads. It will not do anything. I separated it from the rest of the chicks so it wouldn’t get trampled. However, it is just laying there. There’s no pasty butt as I’ve been cleaning it to make sure. I did notice that it peed on my hand at one point, but it was just liquid. Nothing else.

Am I to assume that this little one is not going to make it? It’s a cute little thing and I feel so bad. But I’m not sure what else to do. Any suggestions?

The attached pic is it’s current state.

Attachments

• 2E79E2D5-277E-4EF5-B30A-6962111C76BD.jpeg
    2E79E2D5-277E-4EF5-B30A-6962111C76BD.jpeg
    444.3 KB · Views: 7
:hugs Sounds like you are doing all you can.
If you have Poultry Nutri-Drench or other vitamins, you can try those - giving 1-2 drops a couple of times a day.

Sadly, some chicks don't make it. Shipping stress, failure to thrive...hard to know. It stinks, they are such sweet little things.

Well, it will eat or drink a liquid food mixture from a droplet. That's a promising sign, but when I put it back in, it just stands there. I guess only time will tell. Thank you very much for your response!

Well, it will eat or drink a liquid food mixture from a droplet. That's a promising sign, but when I put it back in, it just stands there. I guess only time will tell. Thank you very much for your response!
Do you have any poultry vitamins like Poultry Nutri-Drench or Poultry Cell?
Direct dose her with a few drops a couple of times a day.

Some other things to look at, does she seem to be able to see o.k.?
Does she act hot or too cold?

I didn't mean to discourage you, I'm sorry if I came across that way. I do all I can for chicks that are weak and give them time to see if they will rally. Sadly sometimes I do make the decision to put them down if they can't eat/drink on their own or just simply are not thriving.

Do you have any poultry vitamins like Poultry Nutri-Drench or Poultry Cell?
Direct dose her with a few drops a couple of times a day.

Some other things to look at, does she seem to be able to see o.k.?
Does she act hot or too cold?

I didn't mean to discourage you, I'm sorry if I came across that way. I do all I can for chicks that are weak and give them time to see if they will rally. Sadly sometimes I do make the decision to put them down if they can't eat/drink on their own or just simply are not thriving.
No. I do not have either. I have the probiotic and electrolytes in the liquid food mixture. I've been limiting how often I have to go to the store, but my local Tractor Supply has the Nutri Drench. Do you think it will help? When I put her back in the brooder, she wobbles and then just kind of lays down. Doesn't really want to move.

No. I do not have either. I have the probiotic and electrolytes in the liquid food mixture. I've been limiting how often I have to go to the store, but my local Tractor Supply has the Nutri Drench. Do you think it will help? When I put her back in the brooder, she wobbles and then just kind of lays down. Doesn't really want to move.
I would continue to use the electrolytes.
I completely understand about not going to the store. Do you happen to have any human vitamins? If so, what do you have.

So, I did run to the store to pick up the Nutri Drench. I put two droplets into it’s egg yolk and protein mix that I feed it with a dropper. When I got back from the store, the little one was drinking on its own. I think me picking it up and putting it back makes it worse. So I will stop handling the chick from now.

The more I look at the chick, I think it may have been trampled. It always was the weakest, and I think one of the 4 week old chicks got into the wee ones brooder and may have done something. I found her in there one other time.

The little chick tries to get up and walk, and its one leg gives out. I checked it’s legs, and nothing is broken. Just can’t stand on that one leg on its own. It’s not breathing heavily and I do make sure to clean it’s butt. As I said before, it is in its own little brooder. Nice and toasty, so I will hope for the best.

Thank you very much for your help! I am new to chickens, soI appreciate any and all help!

Interesting picking her up seems to make it worse. Is her crop distended?
Very well could have been trampled and picking her up puts pressure on something that is sore? (speculation on my part)

If she's drinking on her own, that is good. My chicks seem to like wet feed, you could try a bit of that and add a few drops of the PND to get that into her. It's very quick uptake and I keep that on hand for chicks.

Interesting picking her up seems to make it worse. Is her crop distended?
Very well could have been trampled and picking her up puts pressure on something that is sore? (speculation on my part)

If she's drinking on her own, that is good. My chicks seem to like wet feed, you could try a bit of that and add a few drops of the PND to get that into her. It's very quick uptake and I keep that on hand for chicks.
Her crop seems fine. I've learned more about chicken anatomy today then ever before! lol

When I hold her, she's fine. Just snuggles into me and falls asleep. It's when I put her back, she's uncomfortable. She just stumbles and then falls down. She is alert and chirps from time to time. She'll waddle over to the water bowl, lay down, and drink.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she'll pull through. Just some TLC and separation from the rowdy pack!

Well, here is an update. She made it through the night, but is still barely moving. She kind of waddles. She is definitely favoring her right side as she has fallen over while trying to walk. I gave her wet medicated feed using the electrolyte water. She will take two nibbles and refuse to eat more. She does take a few sips of her electrolyte water on her own, but that’s it. I’m fearing for the worst since she has no desire to eat anything.

Back
Top Bottom