4 day old chick trouble with pooping

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ambe0487, Dec 10, 2015.

1. ambe0487

ambe0487 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2015
    Urbandale, IA
    I have a 4 day old chick who I noticed had pasty butt a couple days ago. I got it cleaned and trimmed its booty fluff. Today and yesterday I notice its struggling to push anything out. I can see is vent push out and she makes loud chirping sounds and then pauses after it stops almost to breath. I occasionally see liquid come out and a small amount of white debris.

So far I've added play sand to her food. I'm giving her a mixture of unmedicated chick starter, scrambled eggs for extra protein, molasses, acv, Nutro drench, and water.
    I soked her once each day and clean her up every couple hours. When I put her back in the brooder she cries like crazy.

I'm not sure what else to do to help her. Please help!

2. CGilbert

CGilbert Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2015
    Spirit Lake, ID
    Chick grit? Not sure what the age for it is though. And honestly, the baby chick i had that had continuous pasty butt ended up dieing. Take a picture now and compare it in a few days if it doesn't get better.

3. DiamondSwan

DiamondSwan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2015
    Georgia
    It's sounds like you're doing the right thing. To keep her from getting messy, you could use wire mesh stapled to some trim in the brooder. My chicks didn't get a bit messy when I used that. What does your brooder look like? What food are you using? And is there anything in the brooder she could of eaten?

4. ambe0487

Jul 6, 2015
    Urbandale, IA

Here is the brooder setup[​IMG]

I can't think of anything that she could have eaten besides the stuff listed above and poop. I didn't do any bedding on there yet for fear of an impacted crop. The bottom is a plastic shower mat and paper towels until tomorrow when I was adding pine shavings.

5. DiamondSwan

Sep 18, 2015
    Georgia
    Hmmmmm........well you're a great chicken momma and doing the right thing. You can get wire mesh from tractor supply and staple it to trim for the poop to fall through.

6. ambe0487

Jul 6, 2015
    Urbandale, IA

Will the wire mesh still help with the pine shavings I'm out in tomorrow after I clean the brooder?

7. ambe0487

Jul 6, 2015
    Urbandale, IA
    I crushed up chicken egg shells and also gave them play ground sand. Is there something different I should be giving them?

8. DiamondSwan

Sep 18, 2015
    Georgia
    Yeah, you still put a little bit of bedding under it to help with smell. Just take the wire out and put a fresh layer over the old bedding once a day.

9. DiamondSwan

Sep 18, 2015
    Georgia
    How's your little chicken doing? :)

10. ambe0487

Jul 6, 2015
    Urbandale, IA
    Sorry, busy couple days keeping up with her bottom is doing much better. She gets at least one bottom soak a day to get the pasty bottom off. Not really sure why it's affecting just her and not any of the others. I see her eating, drinking, sleeping, and now pooping. I did cut almost all of her fuzz off her bottom so it doesn't stick as much. She seems to almost seep out from time to time. I wonder if we will be dealing with this forever. [​IMG]
    I guess I should be glad she is cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by