4 day old chick trouble with pooping

ambe0487

Songster
Jul 6, 2015
Urbandale, IA
I have a 4 day old chick who I noticed had pasty butt a couple days ago. I got it cleaned and trimmed its booty fluff. Today and yesterday I notice its struggling to push anything out. I can see is vent push out and she makes loud chirping sounds and then pauses after it stops almost to breath. I occasionally see liquid come out and a small amount of white debris.

So far I've added play sand to her food. I'm giving her a mixture of unmedicated chick starter, scrambled eggs for extra protein, molasses, acv, Nutro drench, and water.
I soked her once each day and clean her up every couple hours. When I put her back in the brooder she cries like crazy.

I'm not sure what else to do to help her. Please help!

Chick grit? Not sure what the age for it is though. And honestly, the baby chick i had that had continuous pasty butt ended up dieing. Take a picture now and compare it in a few days if it doesn't get better.

It's sounds like you're doing the right thing. To keep her from getting messy, you could use wire mesh stapled to some trim in the brooder. My chicks didn't get a bit messy when I used that. What does your brooder look like? What food are you using? And is there anything in the brooder she could of eaten?

It's sounds like you're doing the right thing. To keep her from getting messy, you could use wire mesh stapled to some trim in the brooder. My chicks didn't get a bit messy when I used that. What does your brooder look like? What food are you using? And is there anything in the brooder she could of eaten?

Here is the brooder setup

I can't think of anything that she could have eaten besides the stuff listed above and poop. I didn't do any bedding on there yet for fear of an impacted crop. The bottom is a plastic shower mat and paper towels until tomorrow when I was adding pine shavings.

Here is the brooder setup

I can't think of anything that she could have eaten besides the stuff listed above and poop. I didn't do any bedding on there yet for fear of an impacted crop. The bottom is a plastic shower mat and paper towels until tomorrow when I was adding pine shavings.

Hmmmmm........well you're a great chicken momma and doing the right thing. You can get wire mesh from tractor supply and staple it to trim for the poop to fall through.

Chick grit? Not sure what the age for it is though. And honestly, the baby chick i had that had continuous pasty butt ended up dieing. Take a picture now and compare it in a few days if it doesn't get better.

I crushed up chicken egg shells and also gave them play ground sand. Is there something different I should be giving them?

Sorry, busy couple days keeping up with her bottom is doing much better. She gets at least one bottom soak a day to get the pasty bottom off. Not really sure why it's affecting just her and not any of the others. I see her eating, drinking, sleeping, and now pooping. I did cut almost all of her fuzz off her bottom so it doesn't stick as much. She seems to almost seep out from time to time. I wonder if we will be dealing with this forever.

I guess I should be glad she is cute!

Back
Top Bottom