4 day old chick with hip out of socket can it be put back in?????

dandydoodle

Songster
9 Years
Sep 21, 2010
georgia
I have a chick that is about 6 days old. I thought she had perosis. Well I went down to go try and fix it and upon further examination it is really obvious her hip is out of socket. I don't know what happened. She started holding her foot in the air and trying not to put it down at about 3 day. ( Not exactly sure about how old she is but, it is close)

Is there anything I can do to fix it. Can her hip be put back in the socket or do I have to put her down? Does anyone know if there are any sites telling how to fix this problem. I am gonna get vitamins tomorrow and start everyone. I am not sure if there is some special vitamin I should have her on. Any advice is really appreciated.

hit.gif

I have searched and searched the post about chicks with hips out of socket. I have found some but, I haven't found any posts that say whether this can be fixed or how to do it. Also I am not sure what vitamins to get her. If anyone could help me I would really appreciate it.

While I haven't had this issue with any of my birds, I am an RN. Mutliple ligaments hold limbs in their apropriate place--any limb out of joint on a human involves torn ligaments which sometimes take longer to heal than a cleanly broken bone. I suspect that even if you put the hip back in its socket, the ligaments are too badly damaged to hold it in place. Given the rate of growth of chicks, by the time the ligaments healed the leg would be atrophied to the point that it was unusable.

I think if it were me, I'd put the poor thing down. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom