4 Day Old Very Sick Chick

Sep 14, 2021
North Idaho
Hello,
I have a 4 day old Lavender Orpington chick who was going fabulous until I check on her tonight. Yesterday, she was running around with all her other buddies but was a little unsteady on her feet but otherwise was great. I had lost a chick earlier yesterday who didn't take the mail trip very well and her symptoms were really similar to this chick's: falling over backwards, not wanted to get up and move, no protests to being stepped on by the other chicks, not wanting to eat or drink, shivering/shaking despite being understand the heat lamp, being generally lethargic, and significantly smaller than her buddies who are the same age. One weird thing they both did was peep extremely loud when I would pick her up to feed her despite seeming to have little to no energy. She was doing great yesterday so I don't know what happened between then and now. I'm going to be getting up every hour tonight to dropper feed her water with electrolytes. Any other suggestions on how to help her get back to her peppy self?

She might be a little more wake but she is still about the same. Should I be forcing her to eat dry food or are there other liquids I can give her to perk her up more?

I recommend that you try giving her Poultry Nutri Drench. It comes with an eyedropper in the bottle, but you will need a smaller eyedropper to administer the liquid to the chick.
Give her one drop twice a day for no more than 5 days.

poultry-nutri-drench.jpg

Back
Top Bottom