4-H chickens?

grullablue

Songster
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
I have two boys interested in showing in 4-H. They are not currently IN 4-H but I plan to get them involved. I know my fondest memories growing up were being involved with it.

So, I'm getting a new flock of chicks from Ideal next month...I'm wondering if the boys can show them, just for the fun and experience? Or is there something against hatchery birds? What's required if you decide to show poultry? (again, just for the fun and experience) Paperwork, vaccinations?

I know nothing about showing poultry....all I know is walking through teh county fair barns and seeing them in their cages. The boys are at an age where they could be easily influenced...(bad behavior), and I think 4-H kept me honest...and I joined about the same age they are now.

Thanks!
Angie

Hello!

Silver Laced Wyandottes, black australorps, buff orpingtons, and ameraucanas. Plus some cayuga ducks and mille fleur d'uccles. (I'm considering adding some porcelain d'uccles to that order if they'll let me!

Ship date is supposed to be Feb 19th. I'm VERY excited!

Hello!

Silver Laced Wyandottes, black australorps, buff orpingtons, and ameraucanas. Plus some cayuga ducks and mille fleur d'uccles. (I'm considering adding some porcelain d'uccles to that order if they'll let me!

Ship date is supposed to be Feb 19th. I'm VERY excited!

I would be interested in hearing about your experience with the SLW & Black Australorps. I had an established flock of RIR, Buffs and Barred Rocks when I introduced Black Aust and then the next year SLW. The established flock were not very pleased and I didn't find the new hens were hardy. As the weather got colder and colder, we lost one at a time until they were no more. We lost no other hens then those.

I've had australorps in the past and loved them, which is why I'm getting more. I found them incredibly hardy, calm, great layers, and pretty to boot! I have not had SLW...only leghorns, RIR and BA...and a couple columbian wyandottes.

So does anyone know? I thought I'd read somewhere once where you need special paperwork for show birds, and that perhaps you couldn't show hatchery chicks. I may be wrong. This would just be for the fun and experience! I'm getting some d'uccles and thought it would be fun if the boys could exhibit them.

Your county extension agent is involved in 4-H. Call them. They know or can put you in touch with the person that handles that. You should be able to find their number in the phone book under county government or also online.

My son showed hatchery chickens last year in 4-H, Jr Open and Open shows at our county fair and did very well. We are going to do the same again this year. You will probably need the show the paper work from the hatchery when you take them to the fair. Good luck.

I would check with your local 4-H folks. In my area, hatchery birds are standard, it seems. I can count on one hand the birds I've seen that are better than hatchery quality in the last 10 years. But, that may not be acceptable in other locations, I don't know. Check with your extension agency or whoever your leader's going to be.

poultry is much different then showing lambs to be sure and I would check with your county 4-H board as they would be able to answer all your local questions and they are most likely in your phone book or the 411 operator can hook you up with them
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom