4-H-er thread!

Pics
Thank you "I Love Layers".
Im not really into sports and im DFEFINITLY
not joking track or cross country lol

Maybe I should just go sign up next year?

Q: Im pretty sure im correct on this but you dont need SQ birds for showmanship right?
Just answer questions and show the parts of the bird?

Thank you "I Love Layers".
Im not really into sports and im DFEFINITLY
not joking track or cross country lol

Maybe I should just go sign up next year?

Q: Im pretty sure im correct on this but you dont need SQ birds for showmanship right?
Just answer questions and show the parts of the bird?
The
only reason that helped me come out is because I am really good, so all of a sudden everyone was talking to me. But even some kind of club, maybe a speech kind of thing, to help with public speaking.

No you do not need a SQ bird, but I know some judges will sometimes judge on the bird you chose. But I have only ever had 1 judge do that. And then answer questions

We're new to 4h . Megan who is 7 has just joined a group . We were the only ones in the group to pick chickens. Right now we are incubating 32 silkie eggs and hopefully there some show quality girls and boys on there.
Unfortunately we are a bit lost as to exactly was she needs to do in 4h. Looks like we joined in the middle of the years and like I mention were lost.
Thanks Scott

We're new to 4h . Megan who is 7 has just joined a group . We were the only ones in the group to pick chickens. Right now we are incubating 32 silkie eggs and hopefully there some show quality girls and boys on there.
Unfortunately we are a bit lost as to exactly was she needs to do in 4h. Looks like we joined in the middle of the years and like I mention were lost.
Thanks Scott
For 4H really all you need is a chicken. For the first year it is really just a learning experience. As you compete at the county fair you will meet people who will help you out along the way.
For the club in general she needs to go to meetings, help with fundraisers, everything depends on the club. It would be best to talk to the club leader.

Do you have any specific questions?

Also where did you get the eggs?

For 4H really all you need is a chicken. For the first year it is really just a learning experience. As you compete at the county fair you will meet people who will help you out along the way.
For the club in general she needs to go to meetings, help with fundraisers, everything depends on the club. It would be best to talk to the club leader.

Do you have any specific questions?

Also where did you get the eggs?
We got the eggs online from two different breeders. We were getting into silkies anyways so that is the 1st bird we are going with. The ones in the incubator now are 14 more bantam silkies from show quality parents. The 18 are sizzle and frizzle and I'm not to sure either are accepted but like I said before these will be fertile egg money makers for us.
We do need to talk to the leader. We have been to 2 meeting and are lost. I know 1st meeting they picked animals for next year. I am unsure of how many chickens she needs or if she can show more than one type. Or if maybe they judge eggs too? I have a bcm flock but we are just getting into them and it will be a while before I think we can show them. Guess is 4-5 generations. So silkie eggs came from show parents. But 1st hatch are @3 weeks old and 2nd hatch are at @3 days in a incubator. So there will be some culling in these flocks still.

We're online is there info on what we need to do as far as there show animals? 4h website was not very helpful.
Also why are all the other kids doing sheep? I personally just like to do some bad azz chickens every year to groom our different flocks to show quality.

Scott

We got the eggs online from two different breeders. We were getting into silkies anyways so that is the 1st bird we are going with. The ones in the incubator now are 14 more bantam silkies from show quality parents. The 18 are sizzle and frizzle and I'm not to sure either are accepted but like I said before these will be fertile egg money makers for us.
We do need to talk to the leader. We have been to 2 meeting and are lost. I know 1st meeting they picked animals for next year. I am unsure of how many chickens she needs or if she can show more than one type. Or if maybe they judge eggs too? I have a bcm flock but we are just getting into them and it will be a while before I think we can show them. Guess is 4-5 generations. So silkie eggs came from show parents. But 1st hatch are @3 weeks old and 2nd hatch are at @3 days in a incubator. So there will be some culling in these flocks still.

We're online is there info on what we need to do as far as there show animals? 4h website was not very helpful.
Also why are all the other kids doing sheep? I personally just like to do some bad azz chickens every year to groom our different flocks to show quality.

Scott
The number of chickens should not matter, our county has a limit of 12 though. I would only do a couple as it is your first year.
Some counties also have egg shows, but they do not correlate with the judging of the bird.
In terms of showing the animals for 4H all you really need is a calm bird and have a knowledge of poultry.
In terms of everyone doing sheep, that is a number of factors. First off location, I live in Southwestern ND and beef is big here mainly because everyone has beef. And second becasue there are quite a few people in our county with a high level of knowledge on it, and people who have a good breeding program

Depends on the show. I am showing junior next year at the only show I go to with the option since it is the largest show in the states I show in.
As you are just starting I would go with JR, and you can do showmanship then also

Back
Top Bottom