4 'hens' is the New Hampshire Red a pullet or roo?

ostroh

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 8, 2014
We have 4 'hens' that we got from the farm store locally, and we are worried two of them are roo's... heart breaking for my kids.
They are 4.5 weeks old (5 week on Wednesday!). The Barred Rock got her/his comb two weeks ago, and is tall and getting red...
the New Hampshire Red is top of the pecking order, and yesterday pecked the Barred Rock's comb until it bled! The New Hampshire is getting her feathers the slowest, but is definitely the bully. Any suggestions? They are still in their brooder...
The first picture are our two hens, for sure, Rhode Island Red and Barred Rock

The second picture is the New Hampshire red in question. Can you see the comb?

Here are her/his feathers

This is the barred rock that we assume is a rooster.. could the comb be that high and be a hen?

The first two are hens and the last is a rooster as for the NHR i'm not sure but I have a NHR hen and she is also top of the pecking order, I guess time will tell.:)

Here is another picture of her. Did you NH red have a large comb early on? considering they were SURE all four were hens, we are so disapointed (we got them at a day old). But, good to know your NH red is also top of the pecking order. June is most afraid of us, not very social, and bosses all the rest around. The two hens sleep on the bottom, while she and the barred rock sleep on the Roost....

it makes me so nervous since the BR protects the hens from the NH when she gets bossy... once we realized the BR was a roo, we got the other BR. At what age is the best to give away the Roo? and what age will we know for sure if the NH is a Roo? AND at that point can we add another hen? THANKS!!

Back
Top Bottom