4 left in incubator and found 1 pipped

kelldos

In the Brooder
Sep 22, 2019
I had 3 hatch Sunday and since this was a staggered hatch I "thought" I had a few days for the remaining 4 eggs. Anyway after I successfully moved the 3 newbie chicks to ther small brooder with the 4 born on the 27th, I went back to move the eggs into a better area in the incubator and try and candle them. The last one I touched had pipped. I immediately put it back in and watched carefully to get the humidity back in the right range. This morning the home was a little bigger but not significantly. Should I put some coconut oil around the edge to be sure it isn't/ hasn't gotten stuck. We had once on the 27th that almost got sealed in and we had to give it some help along the way (called Miracle) to get it out after it started screaming. Anyway, I just want tti help the best I can.

Attachments

• 20190930_201459.jpg
    20190930_201459.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 6
Oh gosh, yes. It went well. Only had to help the one. This was last September and had 13 hatch. 1 did not, but it was a twin. and 2 died under broody mom after the first 2 hatched under her before we move the rest to an incubator since she wasn't paying them enough attention.

Oh gosh, yes. It went well. Only had to help the one. This was last September and had 13 hatch. 1 did not, but it was a twin. and 2 died under broody mom after the first 2 hatched under her before we move the rest to an incubator since she wasn't paying them enough attention.
I have a broody hen like that. She makes me so mad, she finally hatched 4 eggs, 1 died and I moved 2 more eggs to the incubator and both hatched so she had her 5 babies now and 7 others that are bigger but she’s in with all my hatched chicks. I sold 7 the other day and she seems a little calmer with only a dozen hahahaha

Haha! Yes -- a dozen can be a lot. I couldn't add the chicks back in, but now I've integrated flocks (we had older ones) but the mama of those chicks was a buff orpington and she was taken ... atacked I think.

Haha! Yes -- a dozen can be a lot. I couldn't add the chicks back in, but now I've integrated flocks (we had older ones) but the mama of those chicks was a buff orpington and she was taken ... atacked I think.
Awww, it breaks my heart when that happens. I call this hen my old witch. If she doesn’t get some chicks in the spring she is just cranky the rest of the yr, but she’s a habitual egg abandoner. She hatched 10 chicks 2 yrs ago, I couldn’t believe it!

Back
Top Bottom