4 legged chick update now 5 months old with pics

bleu chick

Chirping
14 Years
Jun 8, 2009
Houston, TX
Just wanted to let everyone see how Quatro is doing. She is now almost 6 months. In the pics below a little over 5 months.

If you dont remember, she was hatched with 4 legs and 2 vents. We keep watching to see if she will lay but it is starting to get colder so she may wait till Spring if she ever lays. Both vents are still working and as the pics show its gets on the 2 set of legs (white ones).

She gets along great and she is very quick. When treats are handed out she is the first there and the other hens dont try to steal food from her. No one picks on her so I guess it is understood. She has not shown signs of any other diseases or abnormalities. Ocassionally the extra feet get caught on things but she manges to free herself.

I am still in search of a vet that would remove her extra legs for a resonable price. She still has no nerves in the extra legs just blood vessels and they are very rigid legs.

33772_chickens_007.jpg

33772_chickens_004.jpg

She's a pretty hen! That would be great of you if you could have the "extras" taken care of, then she could live a fairly regular life. That's up to you, of course. But since she's in your care, and you choose to do that for her, YAY! for you. Please let us know how Quatra does.....

wow i was watching animal planet today and they were playng "weird, true & freaky" and the subject was animals with extra limbs...one lady had a lizard with 2 heads and she was offered $80,000 for it, (not kidding)and she turned it down... I'd have sold that lizard..

I haven't been on BYC in at least a month or two, so I'm glad I happened to get on tonight to see the update on your hen. I'm glad to see that she's doing so well. I hope you do find a vet, since that's what you say you'd like to do. Please continue to keep us posted on her.
big_smile.png

Really interesting! Have you checked with your county animal control/ ASPCA for a list of inexpensive vets? Sometimes they have vets that provide discounted services, especially if you fall into a certain income bracket.

I wish you were here, I'd have those legs removed and her sewed up lickity split.

I'd just treat those extra legs like I do third molars.

Have you tried contacting the closest agricultural school? Or a veterinary school? I'm sure they would be fascinated to see your four-legged chicken. Good luck with her!

Back
Top Bottom