4 legged chick - updated w/ pics 6/28 on page 7

bleu chick

Chirping
14 Years
Jun 8, 2009
Houston, TX
Maran chicks hatched Tuesday 6/2. On Wednesday realized one was disfigured. It has two normal functioning feet that he can walk on and two that are attached near his rear that somewhat drag. Also he has two vents that both work (one on each side). I have him segregated with him and a sweet momma that doesnt seem to care. He eats well, drinks well, but I must clean his rear everyday. The "extra" part has no nerves as he can not feel it. It is getting irritated and raw from the poo so I have been cleaning it daily and putting neospoirin on it.

Has anyone seen this and will he live? He is 7 days today and still no other problems. I will post pics later tonight.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The second pic he is holding a "good" foot up. It must have been taken midstep because he did not want to stand still for the pics.

33772_quatro.jpg

33772_quatro1.jpg

Last edited:
Poor baby! I know this happens in lots of animals.

I think you'd have to get a vet to remove the extra legs- the sores will kill it via infection if you don't. I'm hopeful for you!

Not sure about two vents but another BYCer has a 3 legged chicken that does fine, it's a fully functioning adult.

You gotta wonder if it's female which vent would lay eggs or would it lay 2 a day!!!! Boy the egg farms would love to hybrid that! One mouth and two eggs!

Good luck! I hope your chickie makes it.

Nancy

Once the vet checks him out I will let everyone know becuase the two vents is weird. Plus I initially freaked out and could find any real help on the internet.

His tail is just starting to come in. I was worried he wouldnt have one. If the the vet is able to amputate you wouldnt be able to tell because the extra legs is attached just under the tail. His name is Quatro. I usually dont name chicks that young but if the name fits and he is easy to distinguish the rest.

Now that is just cool. It was going to be twins but they dna mixxed. I guess thats what happened. Call Ripleys Believe it or Not. Let us know what the vet says. I see lots of animals that live just fine. What about that calf that had the back legs grwoing out of its neck I think it was. Ut;s ysyakky the legs that grow out extra someplace on the body.

Yeah, I'd call Ripley's. To heck with the two headed smakes and turtles. A twin bottom side. I wouldn't know what to do either but I would definately call Ripley's. Who knows. That little chick might make you rich. It can have it's own condo coop.

I normally get chicks from the feedstore but I tend to pick all the roosters. This year, I choose to buy the eggs and my probability for hens would be greater than picking them out. Also, I wanted some colors other than your RIR, Buff Orpingtons, and Australorps which is all they seem to have. I purchase fertiled eggs for all my chicks. These were from an Ebayer.

I had great luck and hatch rates with one breeder from Florida. 85-90% hatch rate with Jersey Giant and Light Brahma breeds.

With this Maran breeder it was 55% and I picked them up because they were somewhat close to me. I would say the birds werent in the most ideal conditions. They were ramshackle pens everywhere. You would have thought the property was abandoned with weeds waist high in the front yard and just a small path where a vehicle had made a path. It was disappointing but I had already bid and won on ebay so I had to take the eggs.

Also, I noticed that this chick has feathered feet. I was under the impression that Marans dont have feathered feet. None of my others do. My fertilized eggs ranged in various sizes from small to large and pale brown to the expected chocolate color of a Maran.

I dont keep a large flock. Just about 12-15 normally. I really just wanted some blue chicks. My Jersey Giants gave me a splash and the rest black! It looks like I will have ONLY one blue out of this Maran batch.

Oh my, first a how cute and how extra special,
It looks like it has the rest of the other chick inside of him.
Poor little thing.
I hope he makes it for you. It is ao very adorable. that would make me cuddle him all day and every day.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom