4 legged chick

i am one of those who likes to give everything a chance.if it is not meant to be ,it won't be.

i do think to make it more comfortable later,someone had mentioned about trying to remove the extra legs.you could tie something tight around them at the joint right at the body.it will always get picked on by others pulling at the legs.the one on the bottom will cause it trouble when trying to roost and lay.

Last edited:
I agree, s/he is adorable. She looks healthy & happy.

If you are going to try to remove the legs by tying them off, I would think the sooner the better. I think if it was me I'd opt to leave them. But there's the risk of them getting in her way later on.

Please update as this wee one grows?

As far as tying them off and letting them dry up and die...how would you know that you wouldn't allow infection into the rest of the appendage and kill the chick??? You can't see inside to know how those legs are attached...

Same. I'd leave well enough alone.
As far as tying them off and letting them dry up and die...how would you know that you wouldn't allow infection into the rest of the appendage and kill the chick??? You can't see inside to know how those legs are attached...

It is your decision on what to do with the chick. I hope you keep it and keep us posted. It is certainly unique; I'd give it a shot at growing up since it looks healthy at this point, but I do wonder if the bottom leg will be in the way if the bird lies down. Time will tell. I bet this bird adapts to the uniqeness.

Isn't it incredible how life finds a way? If you are raising your chicks as pets and not as livestock then why the heck not keep her? The most important thing is that she is pain free and thriving. That would be my criteria.

Sherrie

Amazing! PLEASE post more pics from other angles. If it doesn't seem in pain I'd leave him be and let nature take over.

Well then, you must not think anything about a deformed child is cute then either. I, for one, think the chick is adorable, and if you can save him/her and they will have a good life then keep him/her.

here! here! i totally agree! i have a son with Downs and he's the cutest dadburned teddy bear on the face of the earth! lol! no, he's not deformed, but he does look "different" than the "normal" child. sometimes i see people staring at him in public (mostly children of course) and i feel like turning around and saying "cute huh?"....cuz i figure that MUST be why they're staring! and he just wants to run up and hug total strangers (which is a problem and it's hard to teach him not to....we have a hand on him at all times in public)......i havent read this total thread yet, but i gotta chime in and say if she's healthy and able to function and eat etc....let her have a life. when it's her time to go, she will. and she may live out a regular life, who knows. personally, when i first saw the picture (the 2nd pic with her all bright eyed and fuzzy)....my immediate reaction was "yea! she's chipper and looking healthy! what a cutie!". i love her!

Back
Top Bottom