4 month old ND goat doe maybe pregnant from sibling, help!

Nellytheduck

Chirping
Aug 23, 2021
Last week we brought home a sibling pair of 4 month old goats, a buck and a doe. We banded the buck yesterday but I’m worried she could be pregnant already. I know she’s too small to carry out a pregnancy and you shouldn’t inbreed goats, what do I do??

Last week we brought home a sibling pair of 4 month old goats, a buck and a doe. We banded the buck yesterday but I’m worried she could be pregnant already. I know she’s too small to carry out a pregnancy and you shouldn’t inbreed goats, what do I do??
You might want to keep him separate from her for the next month or so. Apparently bucks can still get a female pregnant for some amount of time after being banded. If she is not pregnant yet, but goes into heat, you don't want her getting bred then either.

For telling whether she is pregnant, you could wait and see if she goes into heat, which would mean she is not pregnant. If she does not go into heat, you will not be sure either way.

Apparently pregnancy test strips exist for goats (I did a google search to learn that.) You would collect a sample of pee from the goat, dip the test strip in it, and follow the package directions to interpret the results. That might be worth considering.

And of course the most obvious thing: you could ask a veterinarian about the matter. If that is an option, it is probably the best choice.

Other than keeping the buck separate there isn't a lot you can or should do at this point. She is either pregnant or she isn't and if she is you will find out soon enough. If it makes you feel better, I once had an Alpine doeling get pregnant at that age. She had a normal kidding. I don't know who was more surprised, her or me. I did not milk her that year. Both the kid and the doe did well and both grew into nice big goats.

Other than keeping the buck separate there isn't a lot you can or should do at this point. She is either pregnant or she isn't and if she is you will find out soon enough. If it makes you feel better, I once had an Alpine doeling get pregnant at that age. She had a normal kidding. I don't know who was more surprised, her or me. I did not milk her that year. Both the kid and the doe did well and both grew into nice big goats.
Thank you for sharing that experience. It’s hard to find information on this specific event and I’m so worried about it! I have a vet appointment next week for her but I’m thinking I should skip it and wait a bit and see what I can because I know it’ll cost me an arm and a leg for potentially nothing

Back
Top Bottom