4 months Gander starting to get aggressive. Help!

Aty439318

Chirping
Apr 27, 2023
Hello Everyone!

This is my first time raising geese and it has been amazing until recently. My 5 geese are 4 months old. About a month ago, one of the White Chinese charged at my niece. I really did not thought much about it and ignored him. However, lately he has gotten pretty aggressive. Even with me, which he never was. I’ve seen him charged at my neighbor since his property is very close to where I keep them, but I figured since he was a stranger he wanted to protect his territory. Other than the one, the others behave nicely. I was thinking about rehoming him to a friends house, but I do feel bad since… well… I love them! Anyways, I’ve always played on the idea that maybe I should only keep two, but I don’t know. Haha. Is this maybe a phase that they go through? I mean, he is very young and won’t he get more aggressive as he gets older? I’ve put in practice all of the tricks I’ve read on different threads here. However, I’m really worried that he will keep acting up and encourage the others to do the same. Please, help!

He’s a Chinese goose which seem a spicier than other breeds. I can’t tell you wether he will calm down, it’s impossible to predict personality and he’s still a baby.

Geese get more hormonal in breeding season which is usually around winter/ spring. In a large flock youngsters under the age of two are kept in check by older dominant ganders and geese, in other words you need to teach him that you’re in charge and so does whoever else that encounters him daily.

When he charges say “NO” and pick him up and carry him around for a minute. it usually rocks their world for awhile.
Keep in mind the more stubborn or hormonal they are, the more frequently they need reminding.

My 14 week old Chinese goose (no idea what gender but I’m assuming female, she’s so small and thin) is the worst of my four. She tries slinking up behind you and taking a bite. So far, it has been helping to never turn your back to her and also talk in a stern voice. I wouldn’t keep just two geese because if one dies the other will be left alone and they are definitely social animals.

Im a fan of the take control method I have several ganders. After reading this I use allot of the tactics. I do look funny doing the victory dance but facing them down and making them retreat in front of the girls dose make them think twice about showing off that they are in charge in front of there girls.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/geese-training.561849/
To be honest, that person’s “Olive Hill” advice is how you reinforce aggression in geese.
If you have a large flock that you’re raising commercially which only see you at feeding or slaughtering time and you don’t want to put up with occasional aggression and just need them to fear and avoid you then those are great suggestions.

But if you have a small hobby farm or just a few geese as pets that behavior will teach a gander that he has every reason to hate you and treat you like a threat and rival to himself and his mate and each time he challenges the “threat” will be more violent than the last unless you’re planning on beating the absolute shit out of the goose and then the bigger question is why have that animal and why anyone would think it’s okay to abuse an animal like that?

Wether it be geese, parrots, horses, or dogs the human is the one with the bigger brain, if a person has resorted to extreme violence as a means of controlling that animal they’ve failed to use their brain.

How would you suggest teaching manners then? Just curious...:)
Spend time with them, give lots of treats and snuggles so that they’re comfortable with your presence and contact.
When he/she acts aggressively say “NO!” and pick them up and after a minute set them back down.

Most importantly act like nothing happened then and go back to being friendly. You don’t want to reinforce that you’re a rival or a threat by making them think that you’re scary, literally treat them like a naughty kid because they’re highly socially intelligent but are very pea brained with their reasoning, they’re kinda like parrots but without the problem solving skills.

Keep in mind breeding season is coming and geese are starting to sort who’s pairing with who and establishing hierarchy. Hormones make geese crazy, more prone to aggression, and easily triggered and they can’t help it, often they need daily reminders of who’s in charge.

On top of that some breeds have been bred to be more ornery. Chinese geese have been bred for their egg laying ability as well as their alertness which makes them excellent alarm geese, but this gives them bolder more spicier personalities, so your goose might always be that feisty kid that’s pushing everyone’s buttons.
If you’re on instagram I suggest checking out mr.margelivinlarge https://instagram.com/mr.margelivinlarge?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
They have a female Chinese goose named “PeeWee” who’s a very spicy diva.

Back
Top Bottom