DroopyBean

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2021
I got 4 chicks from the agway on Saturday, they arrived there Thursday, so I'm guessing they are about a week old. I forgot to ask about age and forgot to watch them put the chicks in the box so I'm not sure who is what breed. Rookie mistake! They are supposed to be barnevelder, golden laced Wyandotte, Columbian Wyandotte and "americana". I know americana is usually actually an Easter egger and I was fine with that, so didn't ask questions. But now, the one I though was the EE (the biggest one) is yellow and I heard EE chicks have chipmunk markings. Could it be a boy? They are supposed to be sexed!
Here are the pictures and what I believe them to be;

#1. Mystery chick? Easter egger/americana
20210415_094912.jpg
20210415_094921.jpg

#2. Columbian Wyandotte
20210415_094805.jpg
20210415_094737.jpg

#3 Left, Golden Laced Wyandotte & #4 Right, Barnevelder
20210415_094631.jpg
20210415_094628.jpg

Here is a picture with # 4, then 2, 1 and 3
20210415_094407.jpg

Thanks for any help!

the one I though was the EE (the biggest one) is yellow and I heard EE chicks have chipmunk markings. Could it be a boy? They are supposed to be sexed!

Some Easter Egger chicks have chipmunk stripes, some do not. They can come in any color, although it is true that some colors are more common than others. You just happened to get that color.

You generally cannot tell the sex of Easter Eggers by their color. (A very few exceptions exist, but none that would be helpful with your current chick.)

From the leg color and what I can see of the comb I'd guess EE. And the above feedback is spot on- EE chicks often look like little chipmunks, but I've had black, brown, white...

One of my favorite hens ever was an almost-all-white EE from Ideal hatchery- she looked like a leghorn chick until she started to feather out and then had this gorgeous orange/peach faint lacing on her wings, neck and tail.

Enjoy!!

Back
Top Bottom