4 toed silky opinions

preciouschick

Songster
Aug 26, 2020
south central PA
I know that 4 toes are not show quality. I am finding that my silkys are having chicks with 4 toes. They have all the other makings of a silky. I bought them from a lady who had a farm and said they were silkys. I didnt know to look at their feet because I was a newby at the time. 1 mama has the 4 toes. Since they are all siblings, does that mean they all carry the 4 toe gene? I am going to buy new chicks so i have other genes in the pool and not incubate the other eggs. I do have 1 buff that is not related and her and the rooster put out 5 toes. Does both of them being they have 5 toes cancel out the 4 toe gene from the rooster?
I am selling them as pet quality and for egg layers.

I know that 4 toes are not show quality. I am finding that my silkys are having chicks with 4 toes. They have all the other makings of a silky. I bought them from a lady who had a farm and said they were silkys. I didnt know to look at their feet because I was a newby at the time. 1 mama has the 4 toes. Since they are all siblings, does that mean they all carry the 4 toe gene? I am going to buy new chicks so i have other genes in the pool and not incubate the other eggs. I do have 1 buff that is not related and her and the rooster put out 5 toes. Does both of them being they have 5 toes cancel out the 4 toe gene from the rooster?
I am selling them as pet quality and for egg layers.
Do you have photos of the birds and of their feet?
I use only birds with correct toes for breeding. Even then, I occasionally get a chick with only 4 toes and have even had some with 6 toes. Part of this is genetic but from what I understand incubation conditions also contribute.
If you are only selling for pets, then it does not really matter. It is a major fault when showing only.😊

Do you have photos of the birds and of their feet?
I use only birds with correct toes for breeding. Even then, I occasionally get a chick with only 4 toes and have even had some with 6 toes. Part of this is genetic but from what I understand incubation conditions also contribute.
If you are only selling for pets, then it does not really matter. It is a major fault when showing only.😊
how does incubation contribute to the 4 toes?

Back
Top Bottom