4 week old Chick keeping 1 eye closed and seems slightly lethargic.

Elfonzyo

Chirping
Jul 19, 2021
Central Florida
I have a Cream Legbar pullet at 4 weeks old that I just noticed is keeping it's left eye closed. I have been slowly introducing hatchlings of 4 weeks old to a 9 week old flock starting a week ago (keeping them in a separate cage within the chicken tractor I have them in) and I think maybe one of the bigger ones pecked at it's eye through the cage that I have them in. I have since separated her from the rest in case it is something contagious.

What's going on here?

Attachments

• 20210917_173654.jpg
    20210917_173654.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210917_173741.jpg
    20210917_173741.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 9
You're on on the right track with the eye injury theory.

When both eyes are closed, the chicken is probably sick. If one eye is normal and the other closed, it's usually a painful eye injury. Flush with saline and use a little terramycin eye ointment in it twice a day.

My cream legbar hen has a bad right eye! She always used to have it closed and it’s a bit more scrunched. She’s had it her whole life! But yours looks like someone else pecked it or something!😉 Just wanted to talk about my hen!🤣

Update:

I've been trying the saline and terramycin that @azygous suggested for 4 days now, and I know I should be patient, but how long should I expect for that to start showing results?

I also have attached another picture showing a close up of the eye with me holding it open. I think I see a bit of clouding on the eye. She's still eating and pooping like a normal chicken, and has been much more receptive of me holding her, which wasn't the case before I noticed this injury.

Attachments

• 20210921_115335.jpg
    20210921_115335.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 5
What are you using as the saline wash? Is the terramycin getting into the eye itself? I don't mean to imply you aren't doing it correctly, but just double checking that it's not the application of treatment that's holding back healing.

If I'm not doing it correctly, please correct me, it's the only way I can learn.

I'm applying the ointment to the eye itself. The wash I'm using is the CVS Health Soothing Eye Wash.

Very good. You'd be surprised that some people can get it wrong. Ruling that out and being confident you're doing the treatment correctly, you will need to hang in there, keep doing what you're doing, and hope this will clear up eventually. But the cloudy eye doesn't add anything to an optimistic outlook.

I'd say that another seven days on this treatment the eye should have improved noticeably. If not, further treatment likely will not improve it, that permanent damage has occurred and the chick will be blind in that eye.

With only the right eye operational, it will have no trouble competing for and finding food and water. However, it's the left eye that perceives danger and it will likely shun venturing out from cover as it grows into adulthood.

Well, I'll keep doing the treatment and post another update in a week. I'm still keeping her separated from the flock at the moment and I'm hoping I can re-introduce her soon. Thanks for the help!

Update:

5 days ago, she has recovered and I have re-introduced her to the flock. She seems to be doing fine, and this picture was taken yesterday. Thanks again for all of the help!

Attachments

• 20210928_170903.jpg
    20210928_170903.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 6
Thanks for updating. It's always gratifying to learn that a patient has had such a positive outcome. Your excellent care no doubt contributed to this.

Back
Top Bottom