4 week old chick shaking head violently, now very weak.

Ophioglossales

Hatching
Mar 26, 2021
Hello, I am a new and very inexperienced chicken keeper, and one of my chicks (I have 4) is seriously ill. It had been rather inactive and dull this afternoon, and barely reacted to me approaching it, which concerned me. Right before I took it in my arms, the little thing shook its head and neck around rapidly, giving out agitated little cheeps. One of my other chicks had exhibited identical symptoms a week ago, and the person who had given us the birds had asked us to give it four drops of Calpol (paracetamol syrup) a day and to isolate it. It worked like a charm, and the first chick was its healthy and cheerful self in no time.

In addition to the head shaking, the first chick’s poop was completely white, like milk. However, it went back to normal a day or two later after treatment. The first chick had taken an interest in food half an hour after the dose of paracetamol, and it ate and drank readily. It seemed completely alright after 4 days, and we reintroduced it to the flock. Meanwhile, we had been giving its flock mates half a dose of paracetamol once every day.

The second chick, after the first dose of paracetamol in isolation, stopped shaking its head regularly, though it still does it now and then. It hasn’t been willingly eating food or water for over four hours now, and we gave it some sugar solution to rehydrate it and give it some energy. It pooped twice, both within the first hour of isolation, and hasn’t pooped since. Its last two poops were normal. It stood perfectly still and silent for two hours, before lying down facing a corner, and it has barely moved since, except for us feeding it the sugar-water. It has gone to sleep now, and the breathing appears regular.

I can’t find a vet willing to take a look at them yet, and I’m very worried. What can I do?

For now you should force it to eat drops of egg yolk and electrolyte water to make sure it has some sort of sustinence which will help it fight off wutevers wrong with it, it sounds like it could be something neurological did the previous owner tell you what was wrong with the other chick?

Back
Top Bottom