4 Week Old chickma king a "new" noise. Could it be the start of crowing?

jlt045

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2015
Sorry for all the questions, but Im new at raising chickens. So my 3 chicks are 4 weeks old and feathering out beautifully. One came from the pullet pen, the other is an easter egger and what I believe is a black sex link. Black sex link acts like a rooster, but is solid black, no spot on head. So anyway, today one of the chicks, don't know which, made a new noise. It was very short and squeaky, but most definitely not the normal chick "cheep". It almost sounded like an outdoor bird chirp/whistle sound. it sounded nothing like a crow in my opinion. Does this mean I may have a roo in the mix? Or is this "chirping" normal for the age?

Really, without being able to hear the noise there is no way to tell you if it was or wasn't an attempt at crowing. There is a wide range of noises that chicks can make as they grow and mature (and wide range of noises grown birds will make). If you take and post photos of the birds in question we can help you confirm breed IDs and begin to give you an idea of genders, though it is a bit early for that.

Back
Top Bottom