4 week old chicks have bloody poop, otherwise seem fine

PioneerChicks

Naturalist
Sep 4, 2019
Idaho -- currently roadschooling
My Coop
My Coop
I have been caring for these chicks in my house as I have been doing for several years. Pine shavings, clean water, good food, secure heat lamp, etc. I hatched these guys myself, and it's somewhere around my sixth time hatching? I haven't kept track.

They are four weeks old as of about tomorrow. They seem outwardly healthy. Active, bright eyes, and clear nostrils.

But today I was putting them in another bin to clean their brooder and one pooped red blood-like liquid onto my hand and scared me half to death! Anyways, I made a note to check out more later and put her/him in the brooder. Later, I watched a different one release red-tinted poop. And when I put them in the brooder, after five minutes I looked back and saw several red poops or stains in the pine shavings.

They are back in the house now and I will check on them in a couple minutes.

I took several photos of a few examples of their red poops, and one of a normal-colored poop I also found. Sorry it was a poor quality camera, I can take better ones in an hour or so.

What is going on? What can I do to help them?

IMG_20210729_163901.jpg IMG_20210729_163907.jpg IMG_20210729_163914.jpg IMG_20210729_164121.jpg IMG_20210729_164130.jpg

:hugs
I’m not sure (never had this), but my guess is it might be coccidiosis.
I hope not!

Providing extra information that might be useful in this case. These chicks have never touched dirt but once about a week ago I took a few them to meet some older chicks in a coop. But none went outside and I brought them in soon. And I have raised several batches of chicks in this same brooder but I hose it down between uses. No bleach or other special cleaning things.

I hatched all these chicks from eggs myself and most eggs were from my flock, but three that hatched were from a breeder and one was from a friend.

I've never had coccidiosis before and don't know much about it. Is it deadly? If it is coccidiosis I want to use a natural method, but any suggestions will be welcomed.

I hope not!

Providing extra information that might be useful in this case. These chicks have never touched dirt but once about a week ago I took a few them to meet some older chicks in a coop. But none went outside and I brought them in soon. And I have raised several batches of chicks in this same brooder but I hose it down between uses. No bleach or other special cleaning things.

I hatched all these chicks from eggs myself and most eggs were from my flock, but three that hatched were from a breeder and one was from a friend.

I've never had coccidiosis before and don't know much about it. Is it deadly? If it is coccidiosis I want to use a natural method, but any suggestions will be welcomed.
The coccidia parasite is really deadly. Bloody poops is a big symptom of it. It can be passed from chicken to chicken through their feces and other ways. If it's in one environment their in it can easily be transferred to your chicks with ease. And sadly, once it's in one environment it's nearly impossible to get rid of it. The parasite can live in an egg state for a really long time until it ends up in your bird. It is extremely deadly, especially for young birds whom have never had it before. But there is a treatment if you can afford it. That treatment is called corid and can be gotten as a liquid or powder. Quote often found at tractor supply. It can work if you treat soon enough and treat all your birds just in case since it's so easily transferable. It's important to start treating as soon as humanely possible.

Most common symptoms are bloody poops, diarrhea, and lethargy.

I would get some Corid right away today at your feed store. Dosage is 10 ml (2 tsp) of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Treat all chicks. Some strains may be resistant to Corid, and in that case if they begin to look sick and are not improving, you may need to contact your vet to get Albon, bactrim, or another sulfa antibiotic.

The coccidia parasite is really deadly. Bloody poops is a big symptom of it. It can be passed from chicken to chicken through their feces and other ways. If it's in one environment their in it can easily be transferred to your chicks with ease. And sadly, once it's in one environment it's nearly impossible to get rid of it. The parasite can live in an egg state for a really long time until it ends up in your bird. It is extremely deadly, especially for young birds whom have never had it before. But there is a treatment if you can afford it. That treatment is called corid and can be gotten as a liquid or powder. Quote often found at tractor supply. It can work if you treat soon enough and treat all your birds just in case since it's so easily transferable. It's important to start treating as soon as humanely possible.

Most common symptoms are bloody poops, diarrhea, and lethargy.
I would get some Corid right away today at your feed store. Dosage is 10 ml (2 tsp) of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Treat all chicks. Some strains may be resistant to Corid, and in that case if they begin to look sick and are not improving, you may need to contact your vet to get Albon, bactrim, or another sulfa antibiotic.
Thank you both so much for the help! I found some Corid near me but might not be able to get it for a couple days. How long do I have?

Which is better, liquid or powder? I have the option of a liquid 16 oz for $26 or powder 10 oz for the same price.

Three of these chicks are worth $30 each who I was planning to breed. From what I understand, if I cure Coccidiosis in these chicks and merge them with the others it will spread and cause problems in the future? Is it worth keeping those three chicks? Is it possible to build up a strain immune to it?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm pretty nervous and don't do good in emergencies.

Last edited:
Get the Corid asap. Tractor Supply, and most feed stores carry it in the US. If a vet is possible, they can skip to sulfa antibiotics. Coccidiosis is not something to delay treatment on, and it can damage the intestines and kill quickly. It is in the soil normally, and chickens gradually build up resistance to it over time as they are gently exposed to it. Blood in the poo is one sign, and other symptoms are lethargy, standing around hunched or puffed up, and not eating. Make sure the chicks are drinking well.

Thank you both so much for the help! I found some Corid near me but might not be able to get it for a couple days. How long do I have?

Which is better, liquid or powder? I have the option of a liquid 16 oz for $26 or powder 10 oz for the same price.

Three of these chicks are worth $30 each who I was planning to breed. From what I understand, if I cure Coccidiosis in these chicks and merge them with the others it will spread and cause problems in the future? Is it worth keeping those three chicks? Is it possible to build up a strain immune to it?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm pretty nervous and don't do good in emergencies.
Get the Corid asap. Tractor Supply, and most feed stores carry it in the US. If a vet is possible, they can skip to sulfa antibiotics. Coccidiosis is not something to delay treatment on, and it can damage the intestines and kill quickly. It is in the soil normally, and chickens gradually build up resistance to it over time as they are gently exposed to it. Blood in the poo is one sign, and other symptoms are lethargy, standing around hunched or puffed up, and not eating. Make sure the chicks are drinking well.
Eggcessive is right. Coccidia can kill within hourse depending on the severity of your case. You want to treat it as soon as possible. Both the powder and liquid work just the same in my opinion, but the liquid is resealable and better for storage.

Eggcessive is right. Coccidia can kill within hourse depending on the severity of your case. You want to treat it as soon as possible. Both the powder and liquid work just the same in my opinion, but the liquid is resealable and better for storage.
Okay I'm heading out to get Corid today, liquid. So if the chicks were gradually exposed to dirt at a younger age they wouldn't have problems?

Thank you both and I hope this ends well!

Okay I'm heading out to get Corid today, liquid. So if the chicks were gradually exposed to dirt at a younger age they wouldn't have problems?

Thank you both and I hope this ends well!
Less likely yes. It isn't impossible for them to still get it. So it's always best to be prepared and have it on you.

Back
Top Bottom