4 week old chicks have bloody poop, otherwise seem fine

I always put a small piece of sod in my brooders from the first day for chicks to get gradual exposure. They will peck at it, and it needs to be replaced every day or two. Exposure to older chickens can also expose them to coccidia as well as in the soil. Make sure the chicks drink normally while on the Corid.

I always put a small piece of sod in my brooders from the first day for chicks to get gradual exposure. They will peck at it, and it needs to be replaced every day or two. Exposure to older chickens can also expose them to coccidia as well as in the soil. Make sure the chicks drink normally while on the Corid.
I'll be doing this in the future whenever I brood inside! I would much rather do this than medicated feed. Thanks!

So the chicks inside did great on Corid and appear to be happy! I'm about to stop putting it in their water and will give them some sunflower seeds right after to restore the Vitamin B.

Problem is, today I found bloody poop in my outdoor brooder and a couple of the chicks were mildly lethargic. This means the adult chickens right next to them probably have it too.

Now I'll probably have it for forever but I can deal with it. My question now is should I medicate the adult birds too? They have never had Cocci before but are they old enough that it won't bother them?

Coccidia is present in all soil and in chicken poop. They build up tolerance to it over time. Keeping the coop generally clean, and not letting brooders or coops become full of droppings can help. You cannot sterilize soil or bedding. Just try to keep bedding as dry as possible, stirring daily, and replacing with new bedding often is key. Fresh green grass to be on is helpful. Once they all reach 4-5 months old, most should have built up tolerance to coccidiosis unless there is weakness or immunity problems.

Coccidia is present in all soil and in chicken poop. They build up tolerance to it over time. Keeping the coop generally clean, and not letting brooders or coops become full of droppings can help. You cannot sterilize soil or bedding. Just try to keep bedding as dry as possible, stirring daily, and replacing with new bedding often is key. Fresh green grass to be on is helpful. Once they all reach 4-5 months old, most should have built up tolerance to coccidiosis unless there is weakness or immunity problems.
Thank you! What about adult birds (from 6 months to 8 years) who are introduced to a new strain?

Back
Top Bottom