4 week old EE's pic HEAVY

lablover

Songster
7 Years
Apr 7, 2012
These EE's are about 4 weeks old. The little gray one, Jade, is smaller than the others, but she? came from the same bin. The pics taken through chicken wire were taken yesterday, and the other ones were taken today during their first real outing. I noticed that their combs seemed a bit pink today, but before I put them out in their future coop, they were being bothered by gnats. So maybe they were stressed. What are we thinking on gender?

Betty's comb

Betty: I see brown coming in on the wings, but the same color brown in coming in on the tail also. (please enlarge for better view)

Betty

Jade's comb (yesterday)

Jade's comb today

Jade. Taffy's comb in the back

Jade

Jade: side view. Faint brown coming in on the wings

Jade side view again

Unnamed comb

Taffy's comb

Group shot

Last edited:
Thanks! I'm a bit concerned about their gender. They are supposed to be sexed pullets....

Yep, let them finish feathering and update the photos. Right now, there aren't any screaming male to me but it's early yet.

Here's some updated pics. They are between 4.5 and 5 weeks except for Jade. She(?) is at least a week younger I think based on size and feather growth.

Betty

Betty (left) Unnamed (middle)

Unnamed (left) Betty (right)

Unnamed

Unnamed (left) Jade (right)

Jade

Jade

Taffy

Last edited:
Jade and Taffy are possible pullets, with Taffy being the most likely. The others look like roos to me, those combs are too big and pink for that age
hmm.png
And I see some dark red feathers on Betty's shoulders which is clueing me in, even though her comb is not huge. The nameless one is the one I am most sure is a cockerel.

You are confirming my thoughts. The thing with Betty is that there is also that same red/brown color in the tail feathers that are coming in.

If I remember correctly, it is also in the middle of the back near the base of the neck where the feathers are coming in.

Last edited:
i don't like the beard less ees myself but yours are still cute i agree with heartmoss farm the nameless one is the one im leaning to be a cockerel very red comb for this age taffy and jade they do not look like they have pea combs do they ??

Back
Top Bottom