4 week old pekin duckling biting

Alf264

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2020
Hello, sometimes my pekin duckling bites me very hard. She has imprinted on me and I spoil her very much. She does seem to love me and show affection affection toward me, and is pretty attached and cries whenever I’m not there. It’s not often but sometimes she just bites the crap out of me, even making me bleed. I make sure she has food and water, at a good temp, and see what she wishes to do. It’s very hard not to get mad but I know not to yell at her or jerk my hand away. Does anyone know why she would be doing this? Any help is appreciated

Ducklings that are kept alone often develop bad habits (Like in your case), getting her another friend her size would be your best option.
Yes definetely, I have already looked at buying a friend for her but in my area it is hard to find ducklings for sale and even grown ducks. I will definetely keep looking and try to get a friend

Yes definetely, I have already looked at buying a friend for her but in my area it is hard to find ducklings for sale and even grown ducks. I will definetely keep looking and try to get a friend
Also I feel terribly bad. I have barely left it’s side for the whole 4 weeks but now I have to attend work and other things and my family at home are looking after him. I have dogs, chickens that are all around him and Play with him. Is it cruel for him to have his own house without a friend?

Also I feel terribly bad. I have barely left it’s side for the whole 4 weeks but now I have to attend work and other things and my family at home are looking after him. I have dogs, chickens that are all around him and Play with him. Is it cruel for him to have his own house without a friend?

That really depends on your point of view, but given the ducks in the wild almost always have company 24/7, I consider it cruel.

That really depends on your point of view, but given the ducks in the wild almost always have company 24/7, I consider it cruel.
Yes understood. I won’t bare the thought of him being alone in his house at night. At the moment in his brooder he has a stuffed animal and a mirror. When he is in it he is pretty happy and talks to his friends at night. I will definetely not let him sleep alone when he grows up and get him a friend

Back
Top Bottom