4 Week Silkie...Roo?? (Pics)

Mama Knucker Hatch

Hatching
12 Years
Jul 7, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Hi all,

I ordered one Silkie (among many other breeds), and received a bonus Silkie. The intent was to have all hens among the 10 sexed chicks ordered. I'm a little watchful, as two extra chicks were thrown into the mix.

I just noticed yesterday that the combs of my two four week old Silkies differ. One has a flat smooth comb, and the other (pictures below) has a raising and "bubbling" comb. I know Silkies are very difficult to sex, but since they are both the same age, and now showing differences, I'm eager to see what others think:

899863167_20076c20cf.jpg

900717444_5b66827708.jpg

899861897_b98c23cb45.jpg

Any hunch on if this Silkie is a Ruby or a Roofus?
smile.png

I could be wrong looking at the picture, but it looks like straight combs on those silkies. Somtimes that happens but is a fault unless you want want them for pet quality. I can't tell on these two if they are cockerals or not.

We have an 8 week old silkie. At 4 wks old it's tail looked just like that one's. It just hasn't feathered out all the way yet. Ours has got a little ball there now.

All three pics are of the same silkie, but different viewpoints...and this one is very much transitioning into the feathered out stage. It has been amazing to watch the transformation. I can't wait for full poof.
lol.png

Julie in Al, can you tell me what you mean by a "straight comb". What should they have?

She means a regular comb. Not a silkie comb. A silkie has a rose comb. I think your silkie has some of the cochin characteristics left. From what I understand, some are bred to cochin to try and get the mulberry color comb and wattles?? But I am new to this so don't quote me or anything. Sometimes, the straight comb is passed along as well as other traits like regular feathers which may explain why the tail looks like that. But, silkie roos have more structure in the tail too?? Right Julie? Just thinking outloud really. He is a cutie though. You just probably wont be able to show him.

Marie

Actually, Silkies have a Walnut comb, not a rose comb or straight comb. I would say your guy is a roo. All my girls have a very flat comb, just a patch of blue skin really.
Hairy2.JPEG

Here's an example of a what a Silkie roo comb should look like.
And the tail is a bit different, too.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom