40 to cold for 9 weekers?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Corey NC, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    I've put my two 9 week old buff brahma/blue orp crosses in the grow out coop this afternoon. The lowest it is supposed to get is 40*, should I bring them in for the night?

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Do they have any chicken buddies to cuddle with? If so, I'd think they'd be OK.

Also, what temps were they used to? If they went from 80 + to 40, that'd be a problem, but if they were used to 60 they will probably be OK.

I moved my young'uns when they were 5.5 wks old out to the chickNbarn and it got down below 20 about a week later. They were fine with each other for warmth and a heat lamp for night time.

3. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    They were under a light until 5 weeks then they were moved to a kennal w/o a light it was chilly but not cold. It is just the two of them. Are there any signs that they are too cold?

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I think its too cold without a heat lamp on them...they aren't fully feathered til over 10 weeks old.....doesn't have to be a sign they just chill and die......my 14 week olds I don't put outside without a heatlamp this time of year...

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Depends, if it's just two, how big is their coop? If it's insulated and they cuddle up they should be fine IF they have been acclimated. IF is the big thing. I take out the light on my chicks at 6 weeks old when night temps go into the 40's, however, I usually have at least a dozen sharing the grow out coop, which is an enclosed hutch that has 2 foot tall ceilings so it is rather warm in there. This past winter, 10 12-week old chicks melted about 2 inches of snow off the top of their grow out hutch. They lost their heat at 8 weeks because it was in the 30's at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by