4h information on Silkies

Hld93

Chirping
May 8, 2021
Hi, I have some silkie chickens and would love for the kids if theyre interested to do 4h and show them. I am a complete newbie to this whole process. What am I looking for when looking at the chicken to tell if it is show quality? And what features make it show quality versus pet quality. Thanks so much! I'll attach a picture of one of my roosters.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210724-152744_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210724-152744_Gallery.jpg
    392.1 KB · Views: 51
From what I understand from reading a lot about this breed, although I’ve never shown them what you’re looking for is:
Solid coloration with no leakage
Five toes
Black skin

I’m no expert though. I know in my local 4H they also take into account the quality of care the animal received.

A show quality Silkie looks like a pom pom, for lack of a better word. Yours is long an thin for a Silkie, and the tail is too long as well. In Silkies we’re looking for depth of body, a relatively short and compact body. A deep, wide cushion transitioning to a short, wide tail, overall looking like a circle. It also needs a large, round crest and a short neck. This is a female but it shows an ideal Silkie, it is my drawing.
E9FD921B-BB1C-45E8-BBE2-765663305F28.jpeg
Your male has excelled dark skin and turquoise earlobes along with a nice thick neck. In other points he is faulty. I can’t judge the legs but he appears to have all his toes.

From what I understand from reading a lot about this breed, although I’ve never shown them what you’re looking for is:
Solid coloration with no leakage
Five toes
Black skin

I’m no expert though. I know in my local 4H they also take into account the quality of care the animal received.
Thank you! This is really helpful!

A show quality Silkie looks like a pom pom, for lack of a better word. Yours is long an thin for a Silkie, and the tail is too long as well. In Silkies we’re looking for depth of body, a relatively short and compact body. A deep, wide cushion transitioning to a short, wide tail, overall looking like a circle. It also needs a large, round crest and a short neck. This is a female but it shows an ideal Silkie, it is my drawing. View attachment 2773293Your male has excelled dark skin and turquoise earlobes along with a nice thick neck. In other points he is faulty. I can’t judge the legs but he appears to have all his toes.
Thank you so much! I do have a few females you may resemble that! Awesome drawing by the way!

Back
Top Bottom