4H Project

Svalleyfarm

Hatching
5 Years
May 21, 2014
Hi everyone,
I'm new to backyard chickens as well as raising chickens. I'm thinking about doing a chicken meat pen as a 4h project in the fall but have no clue on how to start (ex: how old do I get chicks? What breed? Hen or rooster? Etc.) I'm more familiar with showing pigs goats sheep rabbits etc so if someone could help me out id appreciate it . I couldn't figure out how to use the forums so sorry if I'm posting in the wrong area or if this has already been asked ! :)

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

BYC has a very useful learning center
caf.gif

Sounds like a very worth wile project
thumbsup.gif

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I don't know anything about meat birds. You might want to post this question in our Meat Birds section to chat with all those meat birds experts....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/21/meat-birds-etc

Good luck with the 4-H! I was involved with 4-H when I was younger. Great way to learn and have fun at the same time. Welcome to our flock!

Hi and welcome! It sounds like you are already active in 4-H with other animals, is that the case? If so, reaching out to fellow club members who have done the poultry project is a great place to start - your club leader or even the staff at the extension office can also be great resources to get yourself started. Depending on when your fair is, though, you might be cutting it too close to start for this year as I know each project does have the whole "in your possession by" dates and various other dates along the way for the different animal based programs, so that is going to play into whether you can get this off the ground for this year or next. No worries, though, if you have missed the deadlines for this year I would use it as a chance to get some good learning under your belt anyway by doing a few meat birds this year, attending the show for meaties at the fair, spending time in the poultry barn, talking with the kids that are doing the meat birds, etc -- this will be your resource for finding out where to get good birds, what breeds do well in your particular area (it can vary), etc.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2, start with your 4-H leader or extension agent, they should have the manuals for whatever poultry projects you are eligible for. Many states also have their available programs online if you want to check into that.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! Best of luck with your project!

New her and have no idea how to post. Would appreciate some help with learning how to introduce my wife and me to the group .

New her and have no idea how to post. Would appreciate some help with learning how to introduce my wife and me to the group .

Hi and welcome to BYC
If you click here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/44/new-member-introductions it will take you to the introductions forum -- from there you just need to click "Start a new Thread" and a window will appear where you can type your post. This is how you would post a thread in any of the forums in which you wish to post. Look forward to getting to "meet" yourself and your wife!

Hi, I'm new to this site. Been reading things for a while. Love the coop pictures. I just bought an assortment of chicks, picked up yesterday. Soon as I got home, one of them had problems. Anyone available for answering questions? :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom