4mo+ roo with 3mo pullets?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BlazeJester, Oct 25, 2011.

  1. BlazeJester

    BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

    1,276
    12
    141
    Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I'm looking into getting a roo for my 6 pullets, which are 12 weeks today. Most of the roos I'm finding on Craigslist, etc are 4 months or older. Should I wait until the girls are bigger to get a boy, or will a 4 month old cockerel be ok with my 3 month old girls?
     
  2. CMV

    CMV Flock Mistress

    6,771
    130
    281
    Apr 15, 2009
    I think I would wait another month. Or if you are going to put the roo in quarantine for a month away from the rest of the flock, then get one now. Once his quarantine is over the girls should be old enough to fend for themselves.

    Good luck.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by