4th Annual BYC NYD Hatch-a-long

Thanks. I'm beginning to think I won't need it though
hu.gif
Everyone is talking about their chicks pipping already and their eggs rocking and rolling and mine are just laying there like slugs. We saw a bit of movement in 2 of them yesterday right after lockdown, but nothing has moved since and there are NO noises at all. I know there were chicks in them. I hope I didn't drown them by raising the humidity too high or something. I'm feeling sad
hit.gif
give em time. They"ll come out and play when they get ready. It takes a long time sometimes. If your temps were running a little low it may take an extra day or two

Nothing with mine, either, but you have to remember that different conditions can make things happen faster for some than others. People with slug eggs (like mine) typically aren't posting "yep, still nothing" so it feels skewed towards "everyone but me has pippers!"

:) I'm right there with ya. Not a darn thing from mine, yet. They've got time.

I will try that tonight if nothing else the salt will burn the heck out of them. sorry to all the mouse lovers, they are not good in a coop.
My bad on Zoe's age she is only 8 months old and looks to be the same size as your boy, what is his name. Zoe did alright in the heat her room has air conditioning in it and I only walked her a little ways down the road and we have a nice shaded lot. On really hot days I moved her to the woods or just took her out to do her business. I wish I had some other animals for her to bond too. I do have a really cool story though about her that brought tears to my eyes and chills down my arms. Here it is
During the end of summer I was cleaning out my breeding pens and had Zoe tied up near me (she is a puppy and runs after everything, she has a long lead) our Amish neighbor has a large flock of sheep that usually roam 40+ acres behind us, they stay to the back where it is cooler and has shade trees, well, I had to dump a barrel of straw in the compost and when I was rounding the corner I was stopped in my tracks, every sheep that was on the back 40 started walking up to the fence line, one by one they came up to Zoe and nudged her and she did they, they took turns sticking their heads through the fence while she gently pulled at the wool on their heads, and smelled them, on lamb in particular kept putting his head on hers and she kept gently nudging his. I was like they all knew they were meant to be together. I was sad and happy in the same moment, sad that she didn't have her own flock and happy that she knew what her job was, I hope to get her some mini goats this spring. I still get tears thinking about that moment.
Kaz was about 6 months in that picture. I need a better one of him. He had a couple wading pools he spent a lot of time in and dug a den in the cool dirt under one of the coops.
That's neat about Zoe and the sheep. Kaz thinks his job is to protect the horses and he loves the minis especially. We are still having problems trusting him with the chickens though
hmm.png

Hello everyone again.... I will try to be a better host today, I do have some house duties to attend to, but what the heck, who likes house work
giving-thumbs-down-smiley-emoticon.gif

Contest number 13 was placed in Pictures and stories of my chickens here is the link
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/729975/4th-annual-nyd-celebrity-chicken-look-alike-contest/10
This will remain open until noon Jan 1 then I will put up a new thread in the Incubating and hatching eggs area, and set up a poll, so if you want to enter better jump over and summit.

Friends still
hide.gif

grouphug.gif

Last edited:
To my shock, when I was checking the incubator, I heard chirping. I shined the light in and sure enough, my first pip!! Getting so excited. My mother-in-law is here visiting from FL and is leaving in the morning. She was so disappointed she would not get to see any chicks but now maybe at least one will come early for her to see.

give em time. They"ll come out and play when they get ready. It takes a long time sometimes. If your temps were running a little low it may take an extra day or two
My temps seemed fine fluctuating between 99-100 most of the time, but I did have a few humidity issues. It would be fine then suddenly plummet to nothing and of course I would fill it again, but with the air being so dry here it was hard to keep it steady (and it's my first time hatching let alone using a bator so it was a bit of trial and error). I candled everyone 2 nights ago but most of my eggs are Marans so I couldn't really see into them well - but well enough to see chicks in there.
Nothing with mine, either, but you have to remember that different conditions can make things happen faster for some than others. People with slug eggs (like mine) typically aren't posting "yep, still nothing" so it feels skewed towards "everyone but me has pippers!"

:) I'm right there with ya. Not a darn thing from mine, yet. They've got time.
Phew! Thanks for the reassurance. Yes, everyone posting seems to have action so it does seem skewed that way. It's eggciting regardless, I just can't bear the thought that I might have done something to make them die. I hope there will be some action soon.

Ugggghhhhhh. I can't stand it...i'm so jealous. I want to hatch chicks!!! LOL

I personally find that a boxer...or at least mine is the best chicken dog.

Back
Top Bottom