4th Annual BYC NYD Hatch-a-long

Quote:
Mine do ok, but I do lower the temp to 97 degrees at hatch. I take them out too though. Usually in groups--If there are too many in the bator, they wreak havoc on the ones hatching.
barnie.gif

Ok, this is just me, I snatch the chicks out as they hatch.  I did that with the nankin this morning, had a pip later in the day with the largest egg...that chick has now hatched.  I just get the chick out fast.  I have found that they look pretty miserable in the bator with the heat and humidity up so high. They sometimes literally pant.   So, I just take them out now.  The humidity is up, I open quickly  and put the baby .. yes..wet...into the nice warm brooder.  They always do fine.  I have not lost one to being put into the brooder wet.  I make sure they can't leave the warm area of the light.   Like I said, that's what I do. 
thats what i did i took 10 out 2 comen outa shell now. One getting ready and i thinl the other is a goner

Not even sure I want to post.... I had one pip yesterday, started to zip last night, but then started oozing this thick yellow stuff from where it pipped, seemed to get stuck, and died today in the shell, had one more hatch pretty quickly last night, a clean hatch, but the chick had terrible cross beak and was missing an eye, took it out today to cull it... nothing from the other eggs... tonite is day 23, so if nothing happens by tomorrow, will candle and do eggtopsys... feeling sad and discouraged...

More pictures .. :D I love to take pictures More of the nankin, and now my little black one..well, bigger black one...sure looks as though there may be some barred rock in that baby. Will have to ask friend if he has a rock hen.

Comparing size.. :)

Better side by side..that black one will grow a lot faster..
little Nankin won't be getting big.

A couple of close ups of the Nankin again since she dried off more

That spot..plus, a white chest..and, some white on the tips
of the wings.

I think the white on the head will go away, wondering about
the white on the chest and wings..may bet some barrs?

Last edited:
Not even sure I want to post.... I had one pip yesterday, started to zip last night, but then started oozing this thick yellow stuff from where it pipped, seemed to get stuck, and died today in the shell, had one more hatch pretty quickly last night, a clean hatch, but the chick had terrible cross beak and was missing an eye, took it out today to cull it... nothing from the other eggs... tonite is day 23, so if nothing happens by tomorrow, will candle and do eggtopsys... feeling sad and discouraged...

Aww Dalooras, sorry. Are these Silkie eggs? Can't remember what you set. Those Silkies tend to have the eye and beak problems together like that. I'm not quite sure why. Only shipped silkies have hatched that way for me. It's sad. No babies? That's sad!
hugs.gif

I want to update, this chick lingered most of the day, moved a bit but mostly struggled.  This afternoon it died.  The watery sac was awful looking. Tomorrow I will post a couple pics.
Also, our other "sticky chick" we bathed also died tonight.  Lots of sadness with the kids.  It is hard to watch something come into the world and not survive.

I had a air bubble in need once freaked me out but it was OK. Sorry yours did make it.

Not even sure I want to post....  I had one pip yesterday, started to zip last night, but then started oozing this thick yellow stuff from where it pipped, seemed to get stuck, and died today in the shell, had one more hatch pretty quickly last night, a clean hatch, but the chick had terrible cross beak and was missing an eye, took it out today to cull it... nothing from the other eggs... tonite is day 23, so if nothing happens by tomorrow, will candle and do eggtopsys... feeling sad and discouraged...

:(
It is really tough doing all shipped eggs. They are tougher to hatch and a little heartbreaking if they don't make it. I have been known to cry over those unhatched chicks. But at least they don't suffer.
/hugs

love.gif

2 more out!!
2 more pips!!
love.gif

More pictures .. :D I love to take pictures More of the nankin, and now my little black one..well, bigger black one...sure looks as though there may be some barred rock in that baby. Will have to ask friend if he has a rock hen.

Comparing size.. :)

Better side by side..that black one will grow a lot faster..
little Nankin won't be getting big.

A couple of close ups of the Nankin again since she dried off more

That spot..plus, a white chest..and, some white on the tips
of the wings.

I think the white on the head will go away, wondering about
the white on the chest and wings..may bet some barrs?
love.gif

Another duckling hatched (with a wee bit of help from me), a Lav Cochin, and at least three more Olive Eggers. Pictures tomorrow.

Night All

~ Aspen

Well final numbers in.
1 Lav marans
6 jubilee orpingtons
1 tolbunt polish
3 barred rocks
2 mystery project chicks.
13 out of the 40 set. Not great.
I had some clears but a lot were late quitters.
Eggtopsies showed all with good air sacs. Not internally pipped.
One upside down. And sadly one was not quite developed and I killed him. Ugh. But he was 3 days over due!!
So candled my duck eggs to cheer me up and have 11 calls a developing!! Yeah!!!

Haha, one of my babies randomly popped spots! I looked into the brooder and was like "um... who switched out mah chickin?"

I bet this guy is the Godzilla chicken too. Adorable little weirdo :p

Quote: Thank you Chiquita, Oh my goodness have I ever slept! I daresay I think I have managed to do the bare minimum over the course of feeling bad...I managed to feed and water the animals and I have been waking to stay hydrated...the funny thing, and I should have realized this ages ago...is the simple truth the eggs are either going to hatch or not hatch and the fact this one hatched just fine while I slept needs to be a reminder to me hopefully, especially due to the fact billions and billions have hatched without any help at all from people...I like to think I have a bigger role in things than I actually do sometimes!

Back
Top Bottom