4th Annual BYC NYD Hatch-a-long

Awww, that really is a cute picture!  Must be ducks?  They imprint on the first being they see, LOL.

Say, I was wondering if I missed anyone's Emus hatching?  Where are the Emus?  If they were posted, I missed them 'cause I'm always falling behind, LOL

Emus take a looking time to hatch. Months iirc? Google says 50 days.

Good morning all!

Oh my gosh! My 2 babies look just like yours! They are white with some bright yellow coloring and a few small blue spots. They came from eggs that were meant for eating, and I think if I remember right, yours did too. Do you have any idea what they'll be? I'm only seeing white feathers so far. Oh and I didn't notice the spots on mine until yesterday, hahaha.

Yup yup, this here is a genuine grocery store chicken, straight from the egg cases at Whole Foods. Mine are feathering white as well so far. Judging from their adorable wittle flopped to the side combs, they're some sort of leghorn hybrid. Tetra Tints and California Whites are leghorn hybrids and start out looking like this too.

Aww, so cute..you got a lot! I only set 7, 5 went into lock down.. so far two out, and one is just about out. I am helping this one. I decided to check the eggs because no more pips..but the one had pipped, on the bottom. So, just pipped it more..the veins are almost absorbed..so won't be long I'll have that one out. The other two had died early in lock down. Wish we could know the reasons why when this happens! They were red..these two LF that hatched are black, the one with white, not sure about this other yet until she makes it out. Sounding like she's wanting out!

Yup yup, this here is a genuine grocery store chicken, straight from the egg cases at Whole Foods. Mine are feathering white as well so far. Judging from their adorable wittle flopped to the side combs, they're some sort of leghorn hybrid. Tetra Tints and California Whites are leghorn hybrids and start out looking like this too.
Awesome! I can't wait to see what they'll look like in a couple of months!

Aww, so cute..you got a lot!  I only set 7, 5 went into lock down.. so far two out, and one is just about out.  I am helping this one.  I decided to check the eggs because no more pips..but the one had pipped, on the bottom.  So, just pipped it more..the veins are almost absorbed..so won't be long I'll have that one out.  The other two had died early in lock down.  Wish we could know the reasons why when this happens!   They were red..these two LF that hatched are black, the one with white, not sure about this other yet until she makes it out.  Sounding like she's wanting out! 
Im sry bput the 2 u lost. the one i thought didnt make was the last to hatch this morning. I did help a lil bc it was weak. It couldnt bteak the shell so i pulled it nack a bit and waited for it to kuck out then in the brooder it went so i coyld set my silkies. Finally after losing 6 dozen in incubation i get a perfect hatch. Hot some really good advice and it worked out well. Kids were so excited. Glad i didn't disappoint them this time. I havr no clue ehat mine are nut i do know i do not have a white bird so i dnt understand why the yellow chicks have white feathering. Im cinfused on that.

Quote: I have some that should be Olive Eggers! I have 1 or 2 Marans X EE, 3 Cream Legbar X Crele Penedesenca pullets(They are auto sexing) and two Barnie x OE chicks. I will try to let you know what the eggs are like when they reach Point of Lay(POL).

And, fingers crossed, Someday I want to cross the Blue Egg Layers from the University of Arkansas with Crele Penedesencas to see what I get. Of course I am waiting on hatching eggs for the parent breeds, so this will be a later project.
fl.gif
I hope it works!

Oh man, if you only knew how hard I have tried this past summer to get myself a good olive egger. One that would give a nice dark green egg. I thought I finally had one from a hatch, but it appears to be..a boy! Now.
rant.gif
I sure wish you were closer! I have about 15 or there about Olive Egger chicks, and I always have a lot of girls hatch out.
Im tryn to post a pic but BYC wont embed it
Ugh. But great news. My last one is hatching now. And thar makrs it 14/14 that went to lockdiwn. My inital set was 21 and 7 were not fertile camr out at candling. Yay.

Here are my 11 NYD hatch-a-long chicks.

I love all the chick pictures!!

~ Aspen

I have some that should be Olive Eggers! I have 1 or 2 Marans X EE, 3 Cream Legbar X Crele Penedesenca pullets(They are auto sexing) and two Barnie x OE chicks. I will try to let you know what the eggs are like when they reach Point of Lay(POL).

And, fingers crossed, Someday I want to cross the Blue Egg Layers from the University of Arkansas with Crele Penedesencas to see what I get. Of course I am waiting on hatching eggs for the parent breeds, so this will be a later project.
fl.gif
I hope it works!
Pictures???? ; )

I pulled a Magpie duckling, the Lav Cochin, and about 5 or so more Olive Egger chickies out of the hatcher this a.m. I still have a couple more babies hatching in there.

I have about 45 or 50 baby chicks that I need to find homes for! LOL HELP! LOL

~ Aspen

Congrats to all on their hatches!

I'm calling it quits on my last unhatched Maran egg from my batch. I set 36, 22 were clears, 14 went to lockdown (should have been 13 though since I set 1 RIR egg that I know had quit around day 12) and 12 hatched. So, 12 out of 13 hatched (or 12/14 if you count the RIR). I have yet to eggtopsy the last unhatcher ... kinda hoping it was an early quitter rather than a late as I hate to think of them being hatch ready and then just not hatching, but oh well ... I have 12 lovely chicks that now have to live in my mudroom until April. Ahhhhh! What have I done! Photo of my brood to come once I set them in the big brooder cabinet ...

... which has progressed nicely (see below) I think. Still have to get the tray made, put in the heat lamp and attach the shelving unit (another recycled kitchen cabinet) to the top but ... what do you think? It has plexi-glass inserts for the windows (they are there now) to prevent drafts (which will be important since my dogs run in and out through the mudroom door (and it's winter). I'm going to add some knobs to the doors too. Not too shabby for an old kitchen sink cabinet and an old table top! When not in use as a brooder we will either use it as a recycle centre or a potting bench :) The front portion of the counter opens ... it was an old harvest table so we just turned it upside down with hinges up.

Back
Top Bottom